PC or MAC?

Has anyone had the experience of running Vectorworks on both the PC and MAC platforms? It seems the PC may be a better value so I am considering switching platforms. As I stated in an earlier post I plan on upgrading from Minicad 7 to Vectorworks Architect, and plan on purchasing a later model computer as well. Because of financial constraints I initially thought of going with a G4 EMAC. Dell Computer is offering a package that includes a Pentium? 4 Processor at 2.0GHz, 512MB DDR-SDRAM, 19” monitor and Windows XP for about $1160.00. An 800 MHz EMAC with 256 SDRAM and 17” monitor is selling for roughly $1300.00.

Can anyone comment on the differences between running Vectorworks on a PC versus the MAC and whether you think the PC would be a better cost effective option.

Thanks in advance.

I work cross platform daily, with a G4 733 OS 10.2.3 at work and a PC 800 Win XP at home. VW is virtually identical, and files can be moved freely back and forth, with the only issue being font substitutions.

As far a value, thats hard to judge, if you already have alot of Mac software, keep in mind that you will have to buy new licenses for the PC. But if you need new software anyway the cost may be minimal.

Personally, at this point in time, I think PC's do offer a greater value, esp if you buy Gateway or Dell. Both of those companies use quality components, and offer a 3 year warrenty (which I highly recommend). I lean toward gateway, only because they have a local store here, and if I need service I can just drop the machine off, but that only happened once and was due to a ATI vidio card burning up.

Now later this year it is rumored that Apple may make a jump in speed so its hard to say where well be next year.

My 2 cents

I've worked on both platforms up to VW9 and use a MAC for my own work. I have a client who runs VW10 on a PC who has had nothing but headaches. (Now to be fair he was using a clone.) He ended up junking the clone (he could not get VW10 to work) and has had fewer problems with his new machine, but, some keyboard shortcut functions just do not work such as trim. - I'm biased, I have never seen a PC that was worth the price in the long run.

Again, from personal experience, if you go the PC route, you need to buy from one of the better manufacturers. My wife has a small business, of the 4 PC's over there 2 are Gateways, 1 is an IBM, and the last is an HP. One of the Gateways is 6 or 7 years old and is still running fine, slow but fine with Win 98 SE. The HP on the other hand is maybe 2 years old and is pretty much a boat anchor. At the time we got the HP the business was tight on cash so we opted to save and it has cost us in the long run. I suppose with Apple you are at least certain you are getting quality components, but with a high end PC from one of the better companies you can get the same reliaibility.