window top/plan view

Why are my windows filled?

The class they are on is set to 'no fill'.

In the attributes palette I can change the fill type and color to anything except 'nothing'. Where is this class controlled?

I normally just give up and use a white fill. Is this what we are supposed to do or give it a color besides white?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In the "Classes" pane of the Edit Window dialog. Also, if you want it controlled by the class, set Class Style/Color by Class for the attribute palette of the Window for both the pen and fill, unless I am misunderstanding the question.

In that image, the Fill Style is set to class but the Fill Color is not. Click the color then select "Color by Class" from the top.

Then edit that class and make sure "Use Class Attributes" near the top is checked.

(Sometimes it can become stuck and unchecking, clicking OK, then editing it and re-checking it will prompt to change the attributes for all objects in that class automatically. But thats less common in recent versions)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Have you looked at the window in 3d? what i see on the image often occurs when the window is not actually in the wall. In the window dialogue box does it give you an option to flip the window? if it does its in the wall, then you may have 2 walls on top of each other.

HTH

• 9 months later...

I was able to replicate the issue with Windows, but not Columns at all. Before or after placing a column object, if all components are set to the column's class, i can control it either via that classes attributes or by disabling class attributes and changing the columns fill manually via the attribute palette.

I am using 2016 SP3 however, but I don't recall columns or fill attributes getting any fixes off the top of my head and I see nothing in the sp3 patch notes about it.

Guest Wes Gardner

Just thinking out loud...I wonder if the white "background" is a part of the "3D Hole" that cuts the wall? This will be something that is "in the code" and not accessible to us.