Dimensioning between multiple sheet layer viewports

Is there a simple way to dimension in a sheet layer in Vectorworks, so that the dimensions run between multiple viewports?

Say for instance, you want to dimension to a grid line, but it will not fit on the same sheet - if you draw a new viewport to show the gridline & move it closer, then the dimensions will no longer be correct.

Or - a more common scenario. Imagine a detail drawing for a tall window unit. the base, central mullion and top might show be shown in different viewports with breaklines separating them, in order to fit them all on the page - but is there a ways to dimension the total height of the window, other than just measuring it manually and then editing the dimension text?

Short answer is 'No', dimensions in SLVPs cannot run between different VPs.

To achieve what you're asking, I would put a 'true height' dimension on a Design Layer in its own class so that it can be turned off separate from SLVP dimensions.

In your window example, the DL dimension would show the true height of the window but would be cut between the three SLVPs. Then in each SLVP, add a breakline symbol at each end point of the broken dimension.

Same solution for the grid line example.

HTH.

Thanks for the answer.

This is how I have been doing it, as it was the only way I could work out of achieving what I wanted - its a fairly awkward to get it to work that way though - in terms of the dimensions appearing in the right location - and normally one would expect the dimension line not to be split by the break lines in the way that the other lines are.