Hidden Line Smoothing Angle VW9.5.3

I cannot figure out how to use the Hidden Line Smoothing Angle plug-in from the Vectordepot site. I have tried various degree settings and they seem to produce all-or-nothing results.

1. When do you use this. Is it like a preference that you set before doing a hidden line rendering operation?

2. What is the range of degrees? I would expect that the bottom of the range would produce no lines and the top of the range would produce hundreds of lines. Is it 0 to 90 degrees?

3. What units are used? The default opening display is 0.0. Are 1.0 or 25.5 valid entries? Do I need to add some sort of units?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed light on this.

VWA9.5.3, OS10.2.3

You set the angle degree at a number bewteen 0 and 90. It can be used with Hidden Line, Dashed Hidden Line or Final Shaded Polygon renderings.

If the value is greater than 0, facet lines will be removed between any two faces of an object within that angle of each other.

You may not see an effect when changing the smoothing value depending on the view and the type of objects you are rendering.

• 6 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Frushour:

All great, but where on earth does one enter the values on the Hidden Line Smoothing plug-in? I've looked all over the place.

VW 9.5.2

The plug-in is a menu command. Use the workspace editor to add it to your workspace, then select the menu item. It will display a dialog where you enter a value between 0.0 and 90.0.

And fwiw, this is a document preference in VW 10.x. Whether as a plug-in or a pref, if you do curved surfaces, it's the difference between the product being usable or barely usable for sections/elevations/wire-frames. I haven't figured out all it's tolerances, and usually just set it to an arbitrary number higher than 45 and less than 90.