symbols - details

I do primarily residential work and find that I have a number of details that get reused from project to project. Coming from an autocad background it was very easy to save a detail to my resource library. The detail could be called up, inserted and so on. Being new to VW I still haven't learned a good method for saving and storing details and symbols. I wind up keeping 2-3 VW files open and just copying and pasting as needed.

What is a good VW strategy?

• Like 1

This is how I do it:

Draw the detail.

Select all the objects in the detail.

Modify > Create Symbol…

In the Create Symbol dialog box under Other Options, make sure "Convert to Group" is checked.

The detail will now be a "blue" symbol in your resource browser. When you insert it into a drawing it goes in as a group. Ungroup (or not) and adjust as necessary for your current project. Unlike regular (black) symbols, changing the group inserted into the drawing will NOT affect the symbol.

If you change the detail and want to keep it, follow the above instructions to make a "blue" symbol - give it a different name -, then right click on it in the resource browser and choose Export. Send it to your "library" file.

hth

mk

• Like 1

The other thing I would do, after you create your symbols, is to create a template file. You can do that from:

File -> Save As Template

This will let you start a new project in a file that has all of your symbols/classes/layers/saved views already set up and ready to go. Just select your template from the drop down menu when you open a new document. It's great, and saves a lot of time.

Yes definitely a template file is important and I am working toward one.

I just finished a little house, my first complete VW project and I wound up importing a lot of legacy autocad content so there is messy set of layers/classes. It was a good exercise is learning where to control visibilities etc.

Now I have to get organized. I need to learn more about setting up my library file.

Thanks.

JM

Yes definitely a template file is important and I am working toward one.

I just finished a little house, my first complete VW project and I wound up importing a lot of legacy autocad content so there is messy set of layers/classes. It was a good exercise is learning where to control visibilities etc.

Now I have to get organized. I need to learn more about setting up my library file.

Thanks.

JM