3D 2D People

Hey Gang!

I'm in need of a hand if anyone is happy to share. While I'm very excited that 2015 allows the import of textures with Models and I have found a few really good 3D people, but they are all very casually dressed. What I need is essentially one corporate looking man in a suit and one female in business attire. The majority of work we do is corporate conferences and in our renders we like to have a presenter on stage with behind the lectern etc.

We do have a few image props but they're not great and I've found it difficult to source quality people as the chroma-key that's used for creating image props often has a white background and I white business shirt so I cant convert them, any changes I have made with the backgrounds leads to a coloured line around my model.....

While I'm not looking for a handout (although I would take one) I have seen 3D models on Turbosquid 3D for sale, I wanted to know if anyone has had success with that, or any other 3D model vendor so I can pay to have these models. We use them often enough its really worth our while.

Thank you all so much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you shortly!

Unfortunately most of the really good people in 3d take huge amounts of computer power to render so most illustrators will Photoshop them in after the render. Trees are the same. Generally external renderings have all the landscaping, people and cars inserted in Photoshop whereas internal renderings most is done by the VW program.

From your topic subject and question it's not clear if you're looking for 2d or 3d people; 2d people would be used as a photo-based image prop, whereas 3d people are a textured 3d mesh object.

If you are looking for high-quality 2d photo entourage:

DOSCH 2D Viz-Images: People - Exhibition

Vizpeople - 2d Business

If you are looking for high-quality 3d people:

DOSCH 3D: 3D-People - Business

Both of those sites have some free samples of the 2d photo entourage so you can see the quality before you buy.

Hi Hayden!

There are 3 ways to do it,

1. using image props (2D image that rotates to the camera)

pros:

- most realistic so they work even when close to the viewer)

- easy to make yourself

- don't eat a lot of comp power

cons:

- don't alway work from all camera views (however a workaround is to place props especially meant for each camera)

2. default 3D people in VWs

pros:

- work for all camera views

cons:

- not very realistic

- bogs down your computer almost to a stand still!

3. 3rd party 3D people.

don't know the pros and cons but from the examples above they still look a little unreal......

Here's an image of a project I'm working on now, I inserted an image prop of 2 guys walking into it to show how method 1 as described above looks......this render was taken directly from VWs (no post editing):

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12377&filename=Persp1.png

Edited by Vincent C

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your prompt responses. I understand 3D People can be quite computer hungry, although I have attached a snap of the 3 models I have sourced from 3D warehouse and I'm really happy with how they look and how they work on my machine, I just wish I had a man and a woman in suits to use as presenters.

Peter, thank you for sharing those, I have found similar models but the faceted faces and bodies are really tricky when using imag and close up shots.

Tim, thank you so much, I am looking for 2D and 3D people, as I understand the limitations Vincent eluded to an there are times an image prop can work, but for those where the camera angles don't line up, a 3D person would be better.

Thank you all so much for your time on this!

I bought a clip art book called 500 Model Poses. It has photos on a DVD of people doing all sorts of things ( standing, walking, running, doing exercise, playing in a band, people at work, tons of everyday activities). All the images come with Photoshop masks. It was around $20 at a bookstore. They are very easily turned into image props.

KM

Yes - I think DOSCH's 3d people are some of the best high-poly people available, and considering that you get 120 different combinations of people / poses, that price is quite reasonable.

But they are very high-poly, and I'm guessing that putting any more than two in a model would bring VW to its knees.

Hi Guys,

A Progress report. I have purchased the pack from Dosch Design. I have tried the 3DS model import but it wont import the eyes for some reason, I have written to them. I am trying a few of the other formats, DWG doesn't import any mapped textures. I have written to Dosch as they don't specify which format should be used for vectorworks. I will update with any info I get. Thanks everyone!

Can anyone tell me the best format to import from the attached image of options?

Edited by Haydenovative
  • 2 weeks later...

Hayden-

The .3DS version is currently the best option for importing into Vw, as it's the only available option on that list that Vw can import with textures.

Did you ever have any luck getting the eye textures to import on the imported .3DS file?

If not, I have two thoughts about what might be happening:

1) it might be that the surface normals are reversed and the textures are on the inside of the eyeballs. Look inside your head ;)

2) it might be that there is a second, slightly offset layer of 3d mesh in front of the eyeball. Other 3D packages can use this 2nd layer of mesh to simulate the transparent highly-reflective surface of the eye, but in your case it may be untextured and opaque.

Just a thought -

For 2D people the resource I use http://skalgubbar.se

He has a donate button so you can certainly buy him a coffee. Quite some time ago I emailed him about my students using his stuff and he was a pretty decent about it.

Just click on the image and you will get a single good res image that already has transparency. Straight into VW with no effort at all.

Edited by barkest

Hi Tim,

You're a legend, thank you so much. I had written to Dosch 3 times and got NOTHING, so this was extremely frustrating. The issue was with the clear glaze over the eyes, for whatever reason the mixture of the image and the transparency didn't work, so changing the properties of the cornea texture I was able to see their eyes.

For anyone else embarking on this plan of attack, the characters are great, but my gosh, computer hungry. They will be perfect for what we need, although my original post showing the models I got from sketchup are still great for a relatively low poly count. Its always going to be a tightrope, but thank you all for you assistance.