BIM and Vectorworks?

I just complete the Lynda.com course on Revit and I was very impressed with the concept of BIM workflow. I know that Vectorworks has BIM capabilities. But I am not sure where to start. Yes, I've been to the BIM in practice page. It's very general and doesn't tell me anything that I don't already know about BIM. I'm looking for self paced video tutorials that might show me how to use Vectorworks as BIM software. Right now I only use VW for 2D drawings. I have a lot invested in VW and would like to see what I can do with what I already have.

Thanks!

David

I think Revit is getting better at exporting BIM to other platforms. And I've discovered after some experimenting, that Vectorworks adequately does IFC import, after trial and error. It's not perfect, having experienced a coupe of Vw crashes, but with some adjustments it's possible. The trick in Revit is to do IFC export from a clean 3D view. And when doing Vw import, it may help to choose only the model-based IFC classes, and avoid any unnecessary annotation ones.

• 1 month later...

Hello Dahard,

I'm so glad that you want to use BIM in Vectorworks. Our team has been working very hard to develop some additional information. Unfortunately it hasn't been released yet. I am more than happy to help you, as perhaps this could be a reference for others until that documentation is published. However, to help you specifically I need to know a little more about what you're trying to accomplish. How to BIM is a very broad subject, so lets break it up into pieces. I have used both softwares extensively and know that Vectorworks is very capable of doing BIM. I sorry trying to figure out how has been difficult for you.

Talk to you soon (I hope),

Terra