Side-by-side error not fixed by .NET reinstall

Hi Everyone!

I'm having a huge problem, and I am wondering if anyone has thoughts or creative solutions.

I currently cannot open Vectorworks on my home workstation (I'm working at home while our office is renovated), because of a side-by-side configuration error like the one described here:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/699/Side+By+Side+Error+-+Windows

I had an issue with my computer last week (blue screen, wouldn't turn on) that resolved itself, but afterwards, VW wouldn't open. I have tried the steps described in that kbase page. At the suggestion of the Service Select technician, I have tried a slightly different set of steps in which I use Microsoft Update to reinstall .NET Framework and allow the Vectorworks Installer to add Visual C++. I've tried uninstalling my anti-virus and running those steps again. Every time when I reinstall Vectorworks, I have the same error.

Has anyone come across this before and found a DIFFERENT solution to this error than the .NET Framework problem? I'm starting to feel a little desperate. I've now been without the program for several days and I have deadlines that I am starting to sweat over.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That's the only set of steps I've ever had to use to solve that error, but I haven't seen it much since Windows XP.

You say this issue started occurring after you had some bluescreens on that machine? Were the bluescreens actually resolved through troubleshooting or they just haven't happened in awhile?

It was a situation where I sent the computer to a technician and, of course, the tower turned on fine when it got there. X_x So I don't think the technician made any changes other than running a bunch of updates. But other than Vectorworks I have not had any problems since the tower came back from the shop.

Finally after several painful days of uninstalling and reinstalling things... it is fixed! The technician who fixes my computer was able to remote in and try a lot of things. He says he's not entirely sure which thing it turned out to be but that I could recommend the .net repair utility. Also "compatibility mode" for windows 7 + force admin. I don't know if that is helpful, but I wanted to put it here in case anyone else ever presents the same problem.