Shifted referenced file...

we have massive problems with referenced files on a current project.

we use different ways to reference other files. viewport and layer link references and the problem occurs with both methods.

with layer linked files it is possible to solve the problem with activating the check-box "ignore users origin" but this is not available with viewport referenced files.

when you check the internal origin with switching to top view, we can see that the internal file origin is exactly the distance apart, that the drawing has been shifted.

i know that was a bug in vw 2013 or 2014, but thought that it was solved in 2015.

is there anyway to move to vw internal origin to another coordinate?

any help is appreciated. it´s very urgent....

Dam, our problem was that the ex referenced view ports had shifted and did not sit over the original location. If maybe the sheet layer view ports don't show the design layers sometimes If you recreate a viewport to the same sheet layer the damaged viewport corrects itself. Try this.

Hi, not near computer with program as am travelling till late June but I think under tools you can set the origin which unless I am mistake will be your new origin for that design layer (0,0) this is the only way to change the origin.

Hope your solved your problem? Let us know how you were able to so if I have same issue I may have a solution, thanks.

hi alan,

i looked into it again on the weekend.

there seems to be something different by setting the origin either you do it with the commend "origin" in the tools menue and the little sign that is located in the drawing window on the upper left corner, where the rulers meet.

after setting the origins on each designlayer with "command-9" (tools-origin-user origin) nearly all, but not all!, referenced files jumped back to their sugested drawing point.

seems to be a temporary workaround but no final solution.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So far the only workarounds I have seen were the ones posted above. I have submitted this issue a few times, but its a hard one to track down. So far we have been unable to replicate it in support, but I have heard QA here was able to.

so. it seems that the problem actually occurs to only one file.

i did a few tests and finally i think it must have something to do with any internal things.

in former times, when there have been problems with any drawing i exported the file as script and reimported it in to a new blank file.

mostly that cleaned the problems or an error occured that some geometry was broken.

i did the same to day with the file that generates the problems.

deleted every reference and did a purge on that file.

exported as script and reimported again into a blank drawing.

after the import was done, some geometry was shifted exactly the same distance as the referenced viewports have been shifted!

seems that there is a correspondence between internal drawing elements and the referenced viewports.

see the screenshots...

the first shows the drawing before script export, the second after reipmorting the file. the thick red line shows the disctance by what the contents are shifted.

geo_normal.png

geo_shifted.png