Formatting Callouts

Kevin C

Question

I have recently started using the callouts and the database manager to generate standard office text and specification. The ability to have a central notes database which can be updated and used to update other drawings is brilliant, but I have found some (what I feel are) major shortcomings.

1. When trying to import notes from the database say for a Building Warrant submission, there are standard notes which must be included every time. Why is the only way that I can import the notes is in a form that is predetermined and completely inflexible Eg.

A) The only way to import notes from the database is to import through callouts - Why??? A callout by default require a leader, and is usually a short text string. I want to have access to an office database which contains specification and notes and that can be used to generate a full project specification if required.

B) Callouts are near impossible to format, other than the most basic of editing

What would be great is if when selecting the callout from the basic tools and the dialogue box opens (either stand alone or importing from the database) - Could we have an Insert as callout or Insert as notes button and allow custom formatting to the notes (see below)

2. Often projects will have notes from different parts of the databases. Why can these not be inked so that when one note ends the next one begins directly afterwards (and copies the same formatting (Ie. width of text box / font and size etc.). Linking different 'callouts' would also allow for easier editing and mean that when the office database is updated, if a project requires to have its notes amended, the whole specification wouldn't have to be reformatted, which at the construction stage, could mean dozens or even hundreds of drawings

3. Start using columns so that notes can flow instead of having to create multiple viewports which have to be adjusted every time a note gets updated

4. Allow for importing from word processing programs (copy and paste - with formatting) or direct import from Word (Exporting to word would be nice to have as well)

1 answer to this question