'Types' or 'Saved Views' For Viewports

Tom Klaber

Question

It would be great if there were something like saved views for viewports, or 'viewport types.' This way you could set the viewport as RCP, or Construction Plan or Marketing Plan, and that viewport would adopt all the settings of the type. Mostly, I think it would be classes and class overrides, but like saved views, it can be user controlled what settings are controlled by the type.

THEN - if you need to make a change - like add a class or change the override display properties of a class - you only have to update the 'Viewport Type' setting and all the viewports of that type are updated.

No more eyedropper! No more classes accidently left off of that one viewport.

Even better would be if they were sharable resources so that projects could share across files (maybe no longer necessary :) and that the office could have these resources available by default in new project files.

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

+1 for me.

Could be used to standardise all drawings and make for a corporate style which would then be consistent.

The option is there with the eyedropper tool to make various viewport properties match each other, but to have this as an office wide resource would be great.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry I haven't put this and a few others that are currently pending on the wishlist in yet. I generally do a more detailed writeup and it takes some time, I have to slide it between my normal duties.

I will be going over the wishlist and catching everything though, there just isn't a huge rush to do so right now because of where we are in the development cycle. For instance, right after September, features need to be added to the request list immediately to increase their chance of coming in the next version, but in the months just prior to September, other things are going on in development and time-to-submission isn't so crucial.

Fear not!

Still waiting on this.  It would obviously be called Viewport Styles.  It would use the same By Style / By Instance control that has made VW styles famous.

This would allow certain stials just to control rendering settings across multiple Viewports, or as originally conceptualized, would allow class visibility, class overrides, layer (on layer by layer basis). 

It’s in the roadmap under viewport styles. When that arrives I have no idea. 

since this was posted we now have storeys and story layers have a type as well strikes me a viewport style could have a target story as well and visibility of layers could be automatically set by that.