Export from VWx as 2011 Dwg Issue...

DSA

Question

We are commonly having to export our external works bases to dwg to send to other consultants and have recently started to experience problems. I think we've discovered the issue is when exporting the file to a 2011 dwg (as they are able to import 2007 exports fine...)

The architects we sent a file to, that had issues, are using AutoCAD 2014 so surely that would be able to import 2011 dwgs?

Is anyone aware of the 2011 dwg export function being particularly 'buggy', or is it an issue with AutoCAD 2014?

1 answer to this question

Try exporting to dwg 2010 as that is the de facto base format for AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012.

AutoCAD 2014 can import any dwg version below 2014 so that should not be a problem. It is possible that there is a bug in the export to dwg 2011. I always export to the lowest file level of a series even if there is an intermediate level export available such as for 2011 so I have not noticed any possible issues with the dwg 2011 export option.

That being said, try using a DWG viewer or a Mac dwg based can program (e.g. Bricscad or DraftSight) to see if things show up properly after exporting to dwg 2011. If they do then the problem may be with their copy of AutoCAD.

Once in a rare while AutoCAD hangs on an incorrectly defined item when opening a file that cannot be fixed with an audit, but it opens ok in e.g. AutoCAD LT or Bricscad/DraftSight/others that will simply ignore the error.