Lighting in symbol only works for some

simbob

I've just created a 3d light symbol with a point light source in, when i've duplicated the symbol across the space and render in open GL only approx 6 of 50 render with a light source. Any ideas ho w this might be?

Same thing is happening with other light symbols in the drawing

Speaking of light objects within symbols....

One issue I've run into multiple times is that if you have multiple instances of a symbol that contains a light, and want to turn off ONE of those lights, when you go to the Visualization palette to turn it off (via clicking on checkmark), then ALL instances of that same symbol turn off.

This makes it impossible to have multiple symbol instances where some lights are on and some are off.

Is this working as intended or is this a bug?

(As a workaround, I've found that you can select the instance of the symbol you want to turn off, then in the Object Info Palette set the Light Brightness to 0. The light is still technically 'on' but doesn't produce light).

Also... I've seen many posts on these boards inquiring about the light limit within OpenGL. Might it be helpful for Vectorworks to display a message in the lower-righthand status bar noting that only 8 lights will display? I've seen other helpful messages pop up down there, highlighted in red. (better than an intrusive pop-up)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Speaking of light objects within symbols....

One issue I've run into multiple times is that if you have multiple instances of a symbol that contains a light, and want to turn off ONE of those lights, when you go to the Visualization palette to turn it off (via clicking on checkmark), then ALL instances of that same symbol turn off.

This makes it impossible to have multiple symbol instances where some lights are on and some are off.

Is this working as intended or is this a bug?

(As a workaround, I've found that you can select the instance of the symbol you want to turn off, then in the Object Info Palette set the Light Brightness to 0. The light is still technically 'on' but doesn't produce light).

That seems like a bug to me, if it doesnt also change the state of the other lights listed in that symbol in the Visualization palette to Off as well. If you have an example file where thats happening, please send it my way at tech@vectorworks.net ATTN JimW.

Also... I've seen many posts on these boards inquiring about the light limit within OpenGL. Might it be helpful for Vectorworks to display a message in the lower-righthand status bar noting that only 8 lights will display? I've seen other helpful messages pop up down there, highlighted in red. (better than an intrusive pop-up)

Agreed! Submitting request now.