simple view question

I ask for help with one annoyance I've never figured out: When using multiple layers, and with the "Unified View" ON, if I switch from one active layer to make another layer active, the view 'center' changes. For instance, if I'm in 'plan/top' view and looking at the front door in the center of my monitor, then I switch active layers, the view location changes to put the back door in the center of my monitor. Oddly, If I immediately switch to other layers (without changing the view), the back door remains in the same position, in the center of my monitor.

I know I can stop this annoyance by turning 'Unified View' off, but since I'm always going back and forth to 3D views, this isn't practical.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to avoid this annoyance ? I suspect it has something to do with picking the right origin '0' point on all layers, but i can't figure it out.

thanks ... but that's not the problem. Anyone else have a suggestion ?

(this problem has nothing to do with having any object selected (or not) ) Also, I am not trying to get the geometric center of all the objects in the file. I simply want the center of the view to be the same when I switch between layers.