Shallow pool - textures and rendering

I am trying to render a 300mm (1'0") deep pool I have modelled - it's a pool at the entry to a house, with stepping stones leading to the front door.

Can anyone suggest what textures to use on the pool walls and floor, and the water itself?

Is there a video anywhere showing how to model a pool with textures and rendering?

I have found Youtube videos showing animated water, but I can't figure out how to even get to the still water stage.

David

When I texture pools I usually make the water glass and then map a texture on the top surface of an actual pool or swimming whatever the effect you are trying to achieve get or a make a seamless texture and then give it say a 50% transparency or more you could give it a bump map to show some contours of water there's a slider and all kinds of effects when you make the initial texture you could also make it shiney so it reflects the sky if you have one in your scene

I was bored a few weeks back operating a show and sketched the attached image from the pool deck.

I tried two methods for the water (in the image you see the first).

- Stock standard water texture in VW with additional noise bump mapping to increase effect.

- Created texture from Noise Colour, Tinted Glass Transparancy, ~50 Mirror finish and Noise Bump.

As for tiles:

- The ones provided in the Library>Textures folder are pretty cool, they pop if you add a Bump map to them.

- Make your own with the Tile/Brick Colour Modifier and add the same Bump map, probably with a low level reflectivity.

Also I've had this link on my bookmarked bar for a while from a while ago on here: https://www.arroway-textures.ch/en/products/gravel-1

Good Luck,

J

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I found some water textures and am trying them in turn. The stock Water 05 RT seems best at this stage, I haven't tried bumping it because the pool is supposed to be tranquil and reflective, not a seething cauldron! Wonder if there's a goldfish symbol anywhere in the library ....................

A light coloured texture seems to work best for rendering, although in real life I will probably have dark surfaces.

Edited by D Wood
  • 4 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Someone may have asked for this in another thread, but this was the closest I could come to finding it.

There is a shot of a swimming pool in some of our videos for the 2016 release, this attached file is the one I made that they came from. It combines a displacement mapped water texture with caustic lighting in order to get a pretty neat underwater look:

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/xpWvJSd.jpg[/img]