drawing labels flipping

My drawing labels on sheet layers keep flipping, even without

being touched. The drawing title will flip to below the label line, and the scale will flip to above the label line. I do tend to duplicate drawing labels instead of inserting new ones, if that contributes to the problem.

Thanks,

Donald

I've seen this happen with Drawing Labels pretty regularly. Most often its when the drawing name and scale flip positions in relation to the line as you say. Usually they flip back if the plug in object regenerates - shifting position, editing, etc.

I personally think it should be considered a bug but its hard to report/track since its quite random. I believe you force them to regenerate under Tools>Utilities>Reset All Plugins.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is a known (and submitted) bug. One aspect of the bug that seems very odd is that it seems to be somehow related to the number of menu items in the workspace. Out of curiosity, are any of you experiencing this problem using a custom workspace?

I have a test file consisting of an array of 50 title drawing title objects. I select them all and move them by 0, 0 to trigger a regen. While using my custom workspace, I usually see the flipping occur after regenerating them anywhere from 1 to 10 times. Deleting a certain number of menu items from my workspace would allow me to regenerate them 20+ times with no flipping. Bizarre but I've been able to consistently demonstrate this.

I have a test file consisting of an array of 50 title drawing title objects. I select them all and move them by 0, 0 to trigger a regen. While using my custom workspace, I usually see the flipping occur after regenerating them anywhere from 1 to 10 times. Deleting a certain number of menu items from my workspace would allow me to regenerate them 20+ times with no flipping. Bizarre but I've been able to consistently demonstrate this.

Matt

That's pretty amazing. WHAT ON EARTH made you think to try changing the number of menu items?

mk

Thanks for the feedback Kevin.

That's pretty amazing. WHAT ON EARTH made you think to try changing the number of menu items?

Hi Mike,

LOL! It's all in a days work or, in this case, it WAS a days work. ;-)

If any of you who see this problem occur want to give this a whirl, it will help confirm my theory:

1. Create a new VW file and insert a drawing title object.

2. Duplicate array the object in 10 rows of 5 so that you have 50 title objects.

3. Make the text size of the title text far larger than the scale text (This is makes it easier to see when the text flips).

4. Select All and Move by 0, 0 and look to see if any flip. Repeat this step up to 20 times or until you see some flip (whichever comes first).

5. If any flipped in step 4, change to a standard workspace and repeat step 4.

If you cannot get any to flip in step 5, the results help support the theory.

I've gone further than this by uninstalling all third party plug-ins, using a copy of a standard workspace, then adding menu items to it until the problem occurs. In VW 2014, I found adding One new menu, two submenus and 12 commands (all instances of the "Copy" command) to a copy of the Designer workspace triggered the problem.

Thanks for trying Mike. If you've never seen it happen before, your workspace is probably not affected. I haven't thoroughly tested all this in VW 2015, the problem is still evident in my project files. You might see it if you use a copy of the Designer workspace and add a bunch of menu items to it. As I mentioned (for VW 2014), just adding one menu, two submenus and 12 commands was enough to trigger it.

Well that doesn't help my theory! :-/

BUT, the interesting part is that it still seems to be related to the workspace. This is certainly one of the more bizarre bugs. And, AFAIK, it effects ALL plug-in objects that contain text objects. I have some custom plug-ins that exhibit the same problem.

So I did some testing:

With a blank document in any of my workspaces (Main Custom and all stock standards) I can't re-create this with any of the following tests:

- Array of 100 Drawing Labels being nudged or 0, 0 reset.

- 50 Drawing Labels within the Annotations Layer of a Viewport being nudged or 0, 0 reset.

- 50 Viewports with a numbered Drawing Label in each being nudged or 0, 0 reset.

Yet...

When I open one of my jobs with ~25 A1 Sheet Layers and around 30 Viewports with a Drawing Label for each (tried in both Custom and standard workspaces):

- Reinsert Drawing Label into viewport. Label flips every 3 to 10th nudge.

Occurs on both my MacBook Pro and PC, 2014 and 2015 VW.

Enjoy, ;)

J

James I also found that using the Move by Points tool to 'make a copy' of an existing drawing Label object would sometimes give a flipped result.

I've always suspected that it has something to do with the distance from the drawing origin. ie. at a particular combination the PIO maths gives a weird result that causes it to flip. Who knows.

I've seen it in my own custom plug ins too. Interesting that its related to text.

I often copy/paste to create drawing labels (as far as I know there's no way to set the default style, I would love to be corrected) and had them flip. I always use them in annotations so I'm not sure that its related to distance from the drawing origin.

I bet its related to the "flip text" preference myself. I've seen it get confused in other situations....

Kevin

I often copy/paste to create drawing labels (as far as I know there's no way to set the default style, I would love to be corrected) and had them flip.

Kevin

There is a Drawing Label Preferences in the mode bar. I usually set one up the way I like it and use "Create Similar Object" to set the preferences.

hth

mk