Automatic Working Plane - How to activate?

Hello Everyone,

I'm working my way through a Vectorworks tutorial and as part of the 3D modeling section of the tutorial, I am modeling a plate bracket with some 1/2" diameter holes.

Both the tutorial book and related video has directed me to access the View Bar and activate the Automatic Working Plane(when activated, the bracket model highlights blue when the cursor touches a surface), before modeling the holes.

When I go to the Active Plane pull-down menu I only have "Layer Plane", "Screen Plane" and "Options" available and no "Automatic" working plane.

When I toggle the Backslash key, I receive the message: "Automatic Working Plane mode is not available in current context". What does this mean?

I don't believe that I have missed any steps in the process, so I am confused as to how to active the Automatic Working Plane.

The tutorial has no indication as to how to make this activation, when the Automatic Working Plane is not available and the Vectorworks help section does not discuss how to activate this.

Can anyone help.

Thank you,

AB

Edited by Blissab

Thank Alan for your response.

I am following along with a tutorial, which is placing holes (circles) in a steel plate. In the tutorial video of this process, the creator indicates the Automatic Working Plane within the Active Plane pull-down.

In my process of placing holes (circles), Automatic Working Plane does not exist. I have been careful, to follow the process step by step.

AB

Hello Alan,

I just figured-out the Automatic Working Plane activation.

You have to be within one of the basic tool commands to activate the Automatic Working Plane in the Active Plane pull-down.

I was mistakenly trying to accomplish this prior to selecting one of the basic tool commands. Its a matter of sequence.

Thank you,

AB