All Drawing Sheets need to go! really really.

need to find an app that works like the VW viewer in that people can used the "saved views", that i set up, to navigate through the model in the field.

this will allow all your time to be spent on the model.

the model is infinite as to views allowing anyone to grasp what is going on.

any suggestions as to an app?

2015.05.20 No More Drawing Sheets

previous videos

as to the feel of a rolled up set of drawings... i remember when cad came out and i had a large drafting machine (big as they come) and i thought "working off a computer screen for drafting? you have to be nuts!" yet here we are.

all drawing sheets need to go.

I agree with you, but I think that you are too far ahead of the curve. I've been saying for a while too that drafting is over, that it's all in the model. But on some things the plate is just the most efficient way of presenting information. I do think that the other major change to drafting is that we can now present non orthographic views much easier than we used to be able to.

I'm in great agreement with the steps forward in terms of 3D CAD plans being distributed, getting clients to navigate in 3D. A lot of my time is spent investigating AR technologies and the progression of options such as interactive 3D PDFs.

I think there is an underlying factor which that is we won't (for the foreseeable 10 years?) ever be able to leave the physical plans drawn on the 'tangible' Sheet Layer. It's a generational change like physical newspapers vs. digital newspapers, there will always be people who require them. Although it's really good to want this change immediately I have a feeling that it's going to take a long time to migrate over for the majority and a lot of double handling for us a drafts-people from this point forwards.

J

i think you guys are correct.

i hate making drawing sheets.

its like a ball an chain.

the current project that I'm on is a large one. they just moved me off drawings and put me on modeling. the reason is this. the fastest way for the team (a large Architectural & Engineering firm) to capture the consultants ideas is to have me model & place dims & text right in the model. then make a 2-3 min video to circulate back to the team. (i can do this just about daily)

If i had to do this with drawings (top, front & right view) it would take me 10x as long. then you have to manage all those sheets and stamp them NOT FOR CONSTRUCTION.

when people see videos they think "this is for information"

when they see plans they think "i will run off and build it"

i know about BIM but i think there is a market for fast modeling of information to capture everyones ideas, then daily videos from the modeler showing a progress report fly thru for the team. like the morning weather report. just sit back and drink your coffee and watch the video.

Edited by digitalmechanics