Nested Symbol Extraction

I need to figure out the trick in getting record format data from nested symbols. We are working on a condo unit building where door sybmols are nested within the dwelling unit symbols. Of the 8 dwelling units, only 2 are groups, so our door schedule worksheet is only getting the doors in the grouped plans, not the symbol plans. I recall some special text criteria that needs to be in the database header. Can someone give me some directions? We use CSI numbering for the ID No. as the main selection criteria (8200 for doors). Thanks

Further info:

When one begins a new VW file with Setup Assistant, and you go to "create report" command, a dialog box appears enabling you to title and create a worksheet. There is a button on the bottom for "options" and checkbox in that that says ""in symbols" or something like that, for gathering data on nested symbols. When I do that the worksheet criteria contains this info- =DATABASE(INSYMBOL AND (XXXX)). When I try to add the INSYMBOL AND to my worksheet, all data goes away. I want to get window symbol data from symbols and nested symbols (symbols within symbols) for my shedule. What am I doing wrong?

• 15 years later...

INSYMBOL does not work the way that many of us wish it did.

What we would like to have is a function so that you would only get data back from objects that are included inside of symbols.

What it actually does is give you data on all objects at the top level AND any objects that are part of the symbol. This makes it difficult to work with nested symbols in a worksheet.

Can you provide more information on exactly what you are trying to do. How are the nested symbols constructed and what data are you trying to pull from the nested symbol and maybe we can figure something out. Do you know the symbol that is nested? Or are there a bunch of different nested symbols possible?

Best to copy and paste the real criteria you are using rather than making up something similar.