Ability to make any Class or Layer be Non-Plot

rDesign

Question

18 answers to this question

Yeah - I know that I could just make the NonPlot class invisible in a SLVP, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a class named 'NonPlot'.

I only recently discovered that the 'NonPlot' class still plots: Silly me... O.o

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
On 5/5/2015 at 5:36 AM, rDesign said:

The ability to have any Class or Layer become 'non-plot' would be a welcome addition, instead of only having the one 'NonPlot' class.

I often put detailed information or notes inside Symbols or Layers, Reference Grids, etc. that I don't want to print, and when there's only one NonPlot class it gets a bit confusing. Adding to the confusion is the fact that the ‘NonPlot’ class does plot, despite its name.

This would be best achieved via a check box on the Classes and Layers tab on the Resource Browser.

[2018 Edit: The earliest post I found that requested this functionality dates back to 2009.]

Is this has been add in the latest version(2021)?

The gist of this request appears to be to have 'non plot' like classes, eg. Guides, visible while you are working but not visible when you print.

The simple way to get that is to use Sheet Layer Viewports for your output.  In those you can make any class you want not appear in your printed output by making it non visible in the Class Properties for the Viewport. 

the only thing you need to be mindful of is that setting a 'Container Class' of an object to invisible will make the whole object invisible.

423737088_NonPlottingClasses.thumb.png.d84ebf1fbb32e7dd0b17d862a5f8a973.png

Non plotting Classes v2021.vwx

Edited by mike m oz
Add text, image and example file.
  • Like 1
On 5/4/2015 at 9:36 PM, rDesign said:

[2018 Edit: The earliest post I found that requested this functionality dates back to 2009.]

nice one @rDesign 😄
got my upvote.

still no new development, I assume?

Gray Level for Grayed Layers and Classes - Adjusts the level of gray when exporting with grayed layers and/or classes

the best I could find regarding this is to just make the nonprint classes translucent and set the visibility of grey objects to 0 (screenshot (5) in this german help and english)
obviously that only helps, when you don't need the translucent classes or layers for anything else.

maybe this approach is useful for someone looking for a workaround to this basic request without any Vectorscript or other shenanigans, like me.