Trouble exporting to DWG

Steve J.

Question

I am having a great deal of difficulty exporting what seems to be a fairly straightforward 3D Vectorworks model into a DWG (or DXF for that matter). The model is a two floor apartment as 3 separate design layers with layer 1 showing the first floor, layer 2 showing the ceiling/floor beam layout, and layer 3 showing the second floor.

I am using VW 2014.

What I get when I reimport the DWG file back into VW to check it is some detail on layer 1, all detail on layer 2, and no detail on layer 3.

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, or how to get a clean import.

The file is too big to upload on this BB. However, you can download it here: Vectorworks file export problem www.jjworld.com/ht/Apt_1&13_Actual.vwx

I need to do this because I can't find an architect in the Miami-Dade/Broward County, FL area that uses Vectorworks. If anyone knows of an architect in this area, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

3 answers to this question

I try to use a different program for checking DWG exports.

My current favorite is AutoDesk's own "Design Review" which is a free viewer and print tool. Since it's native DWG and DWF it does a good job of showing what the clients see. Some of my architect clients use it for meetings to show drawings.

What I get when I reimport the DWG file back into VW to check it is some detail on layer 1, all detail on layer 2, and no detail on layer 3.

Steve

Not sure if you are aware of this but if you directly export to a dwg file objects are exported at their Z-coordinates relative to the layer they are on.

Because AutoCAD does not support design layers with different heights they way Vectorworks does this means that an object having Z=3' on layer 1 and another object also having Z=3' on layer two with a Z height of 10' will both end up as both having a Z of 3' in AutoCAD instead of 3' and 13' respectively.

The only way to solve this is to either put all objects on a single layer at correct height relative to the lowest level. (e.g. move all object from layer 2 to layer 1 and then increase the Z-value with 10 in the object info palette) or to export all design layers as separate dwg files and then correct the Z-values in the AutoCAD software after importing each layer.