VW 2015 Modeling in 3d perspective with 3DConnexion

Every year since I bought it (back in 2008 I think) I've pulled mine out of the box and given it a go, but every year I put it back in its box. In fact I've been thinking about putting it on eBay this month.

I use a combination of command-shift-C (flyover) + space bar (pan) + mouse scroll (zoom) to do exactly what you did in your video.

But you've spurred me on to give it another try in v2015.

Every year since I bought it (back in 2008 I think) I've pulled mine out of the box and given it a go, but every year I put it back in its box. In fact I've been thinking about putting it on eBay this month.

I use a combination of command-shift-C (flyover) + space bar (pan) + mouse scroll (zoom) to do exactly what you did in your video.

But you've spurred me on to give it another try in v2015.

+++ 1

• 1 month later...

How do you have your keyboard, mouse and 3dconnexion puck setup?

I never got the hang of using my 3dconnexion puck previously because I felt like I needed three arms to be productive: My left hand had to jump between keyboard and 3d puck, while my right hand stayed on the mouse.

I've been trying to use a space mouse with VWX for years now - and simply cant get it to work. it works fine out of the box with almost every other CAD software I have tried: ACAD, Archicad, c4d, sketchup, modo, form Z, rhino,...... but it seems completely unintuitive in VWX. I've tried re-maping the controls as per the settings in Christian's post, and little improvement with that.

Either I'm being really stupid or perhaps it just works really badly with VWX - be really interested to hear other people's opinions and if this is a common consensus then please VWX dev team can we have this sorted for release 2016?

best,

Chris.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I really have come to dislike our attachment of view controls and "camera" position being linked to tools directly as well. That element of the UI COULD be manually overridden by tools and that would be fine, if the default UI for view changes was moved into the background and not being so clunkily stuck between the user and their objects as it currently is when you're trying to use a device like the SpaceNavigator or TrackIR (A really cool piece of head movement tracking hardware often used for games, but starting to come into use in CAD and other 3D modeling applications)

I've put in a number of requests on breaking view control away from the tool and command interfaces into something less intrusive and more fluid. Adding this thread to it now.

The SpaceNavigator specifically has had more specific problems however and I am not sure exactly why. Originally it was linked to updates released by 3Dconnexion, which sometimes remapped controls or inverted the various axis settings, but now I have even seen problems between different SPs in Vectorworks. I'll see if I can get any details on why this happens so often or why it doesn't get caught in QA/testing more often between releases.

Thanks Jim so much for taking notice of this thread, and I really appreciate anything you are able to do to help the 3dconnexion space mouse be made to work properly in any new releases.

For me personally I find the space mouse an enormous boost to productivity when working in other programs and also a joy to use. I do find it rather strange that this has been such a low priority in VWX which now focuses more and more on 3d. For me the space mouse is such an obvious and natural tool to use when working in 3d space and I'd suggest that VWX is way behind the competition (autodesk) in this regard. It's also rather odd that the other Nemetschek products of C4d, Archicad (and I assume Allplan - not tried it) work perfectly with the space mouse.

So thanks again Jim and please keep us posted of what progress is going to be made in this area.

hi,

i just installed 10.10.3 and my spacenavigator behave funny in VW 2015.

i tried to reinstall, invert or remove commands in the settings, but nothing seems to work.

so i tried VW 2014 in the same 10.10.3 and space navigator works great.

also, the puck works great in other apps.

any hint on what to do?