Vectorworks 2016

Well... if Renderworks would be part of the package so that we would not get charged for it... it still needs development which costs money. Guess what will happen, the price of Vectorworks with Renderworks as non-paid part of the package will probably increase with what we are paying now for Renderworks.

I think you missed my point. My point was to stop developing renderworks and leave all rendering decisions to c4d. Vectorworks would be fine with the current state of the rendering package for users that don't want to move to c4d. Therefore if there's no development then there's no need to increase the price.

It would be better if the C4D connector plugin would be a paid option for those who do not want Renderworks because they are using C4D almost exclusively for renderings. Then the rest of us can still have the option of buying Renderworks if they don't want to use C4D or not buy it at all if they don't need 3D rendering.

The day i have to pay extra for a connection to c4d will be the day i have to suck it up and learn 3DS Max. The reason I'm still sticking with vw is because of c4d and certainly not for any so called ifc features (Revit will be used for any BIM projects). In any case I'm already paying for the c4d connection by buying renderworks

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also agree with zoomer's comments and bug highlights. This is the 5th iteration of the send to cinema feature and there hasn't been any development on it? How can someone remove a perfectly working plug-in like the old c4d export command and replace it with something that doesn't work. It makes no sense.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
I also agree with zoomer's comments and bug highlights. This is the 5th iteration of the send to cinema feature and there hasn't been any development on it? How can someone remove a perfectly working plug-in like the old c4d export command and replace it with something that doesn't work. It makes no sense.

A lot of the reasoning behind this was legal/corporate and not engineering related. We license the rendering engine from MAXON as a customer basically. That isn't to excuse it, it needs fixing, just to explain why it seems nonsensical from the outside.

Hmmh,

I could understand that Maxon may not be interested very much in other

Software making their licensed Render Engine working so good that

no one needs to buy their complete package.

But concerning the Exchange plugin, I think they will/should do all to support

that it's working properly. As they will only sell any potential additional

Software Licenses if that works.

If there are so much legal hurdles, if the relationship is not so close between the

independent Nemetschek family members, as often statet,

maybe there are also other options that may be a little more open and relaxed

in licensing and support.

My larger Project still running, which started with my classic workflow but I

integrated VW 2015 very early, things were not running so smoothly as you

would expect when reading the features and the paper.

Looking back, I see some potential for improvements by using VW more

"the VW way", but I saw many things limiting me, or just things not being

elegant enough that I like to work with.

Currently, with a new Project approaching, I'm really fighting hard to find

any way to integrate VW again. I hoped for VW 2016 but that doesn't seem

to make it any easier.

But I decided to buy VW some time ago and It would be a defeat for me if

at the end the decision should be to pull out my old Windows CAD License,

which I would run on a virtual machine in Parallels on OS X, or just doing all

in my other loved 3D package.

Being limited in CAD Tools but flexible in design changes and everything

running smooth in a cute environment is really invitingly.

It really depends on what the next SP will change.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We have started using project sharing on one project in the office.

But have had some problems. Two times the main file vwxp have disappeared.

And it would seem to be an issue if two vwxw files are saved at the same time.

We could retrieve a backup but its a hassle to relink everything.

Any new layers and sheets that was made in the workingfile after the backup was made can not be sent back to the retrieved projectfile....

Is this a bug?

Anybody with the same issue?

Ida

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Hi,

We have started using project sharing on one project in the office.

But have had some problems. Two times the main file vwxp have disappeared.

And it would seem to be an issue if two vwxw files are saved at the same time.

We could retrieve a backup but its a hassle to relink everything.

Any new layers and sheets that was made in the workingfile after the backup was made can not be sent back to the retrieved projectfile....

Is this a bug?

Anybody with the same issue?

Ida

I have not seen any reports of this so far, I will check with some of the other Techs to see if anyone has experienced this.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim,

A similar issue has happened again.

Not the project file disappearing but the working file crashing.

I had a working file where I had added several new sheets for layout.

(I did a stupid thing with copying and changing a linked hatch, did not realise it was a link.) Then when I commited the file crashed and I lost what I had done, (I guess because of the issue with the hatch). I had a backup, but the problem with the backup file is that if I give it the same name as the old working file, xxxx_ida.vwxw and try to save and commit, it does not allow me. I get the picture attached. If its not possible to do this the backup, it becomes useless, because you cant use it. And because the change is 10 sheets or so i cant copy. If it had been changes done to layers copy paste would work. Is there a better way to do this or a way to override.

Ida

• 4 weeks later...