Vectorworks 2016

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
everything, even simply panning or zooming.

intel core i7-5930K CPU 3.50GHz 8 core

32 GB

windows 8.1 pro 64bit

X3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X SLI

seems like i have enough power to run it.

We don't have any testing done with SLI configurations unfortunately and Vectorworks can only use a single GPU currently. If you disable SLI entirely and only use a single card, does performance worsen or improve?

Do you have more than one display connected? If you disconnect all but one in conjunction with disabling SLI, what are the performance impacts?

Edited by JimW
hmm, that seems counter intuitive. there are 3 displays connected.

i'll have to circle back around to do testing as i'm wrapped up in a few deadlines.

Yeah its a weird concept. I come across it all the time in gaming as well. Non SLI-optimized software (Like Vectorworks) can perform MUCH worse on what should be superior hardware than it does on weaker hardware that doesn't employ SLI.

I think one of the selling points of Vectorworks is that it DOES cover all of your bases. I can do my entire workflow in Vectorworks alone, and don't have to buy an additional $3500 program.

Surprisingly, I am in agreement with a VW/Cinema 4D workflow i.e. spend more time on developing the VW product and leave rendering to a 3rd party application.

Caveats are:

1) There is reliable and smooth pathway between the two

2) Basic presentation graphics still possible native within the program.

While the major new features do have promise, I was expecting more architectural improvements in 2016 and sadly, little has changed.

Surprisingly, I am in agreement with a VW/Cinema 4D workflow i.e. spend more time on developing the VW product and leave rendering to a 3rd party application.

I completely disagree with this. ^^

VW should do what they can to improve the VW / C4D workflow, but I would stop using Vw tomorrow if they ever dropped Renderworks and instead expected me to buy Cinema4D just to get renderings. A license of either REVIT or ArchiCad would be less expensive than having to buy both Vectorworks Architect and Cinema 4D.

It's completely fine if that's your preferred workflow, but that is not the case for the rest of us. Nor should it have to be.

Sorry Jim I should have been more specific. I'm referring to the Door Stop within a door frame; comme ca:

http://needleandmortar.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/400px-Frame_stops.png

+1

I want these stops within the door and window plugins. In theatre we build doors from scratch all the time. My drawings represent what is build down to the smallest detail and I always have to add real world details to the VW door plug in object.

KM

VW should do what they can to improve the VW / C4D workflow, but I would stop using Vw tomorrow if they ever dropped Renderworks and instead expected me to buy Cinema4D just to get renderings. A license of either REVIT or ArchiCad would be less expensive than having to buy both Vectorworks Architect and Cinema 4D.

It's completely fine if that's your preferred workflow, but that is not the case for the rest of us. Nor should it have to be.

Nothing against RW for VW.

Or better RW just a part of VW ArchLandDesign.

It is always better to render from your main application.

I think current feature set and quality of RW is more than enough in 95%.

(Of Course there is still missing a convenient way to bring your work out)

I even think meanwhile there are too much features in RW which will bring

too much complexity and problems for the standard VW user.

(Grass, Caustics, DOF, Displacement -> Render Times)

On the other hand will VW+RW never get as as powerful and usable as a true

3D App when Rendering (+Animation) is the main task.

So it is very important to get your whole CAD data and settings into such a

3D Package in a lossless manner.

Revit has built in rendering for the basics.

Revit includes this in 1 price.

Revit to 3DMax is for advanced renderings/animation.

ArchiCAD has built in renderings for the basics.

ArchiCAD includes this in 1 price.

ArchiCAD to C4D is for advanced renderings/animation.

Vw should have built in renderings for the basics.

Vw should include this in 1 price.

Vw to C4D should be for advanced renderings/animation.

All I'm saying is, VW already has basic renderings which should still be kept in the software like Revit and ArchiCAD. I'm not saying remove all the existing rendering features, just don't charge us for it. People that do visualisations now have to pay twice for renderworks and c4d. If we don't buy Rw then we don't get ANY connection to c4d (as bad as it is). This is wrong.

Also, why is VW wasting time with advanced features. They should be concentrating on other more important issues. Generally, people that use Rw to render are merely using it for basic stuff (which Vw will always have) whereas others that are more serious about renderings use C4D for advanced rendering.

If I've bought Renderworks and I've bought C4d I've paid for the same basic rendering engine twice. Even Adobe Illustrator users get the basic C4D render engine for free.....(ha I just realized the irony. As an Adobe subscriber I've actually paid for the same rendering engine 3 times.....)

The connection should be way better and bi-directional. I also think there should be an way to make the sheet layer viewport cache external (ie. a folder) so I can leverage C4D to do my VW rendering, freeing up VW so I can work in a different file at the same time...

KM

I'm merely pointing out that I'd rather sacrifice the more advanced features of renderworks for more advanced architectural functionality, if given the choice.

And no, it's not my preferred workflow.

I totally agree with your disagreement and line of reasoning.

One of the reasons I switched to Vectorworks plus Renderworks was that a render in VW/RW took 5 minutes whereas a render of exactly the same thing drawn in AutoCAD took almost an hour.

Having to use a 3rd party application would be a waste of time in most cases for basic rendering especially if you cannot be sure you are reliably getting all objects into the 3rd party application or have to (re)apply textures etc. after each transfer.

Edited by Art V
I'm not saying remove all the existing rendering features, just don't charge us for it. People that do visualisations now have to pay twice for renderworks and c4d. If we don't buy Rw then we don't get ANY connection to c4d (as bad as it is). This is wrong.

Well... if Renderworks would be part of the package so that we would not get charged for it... it still needs development which costs money. Guess what will happen, the price of Vectorworks with Renderworks as non-paid part of the package will probably increase with what we are paying now for Renderworks.

It would be better if the C4D connector plugin would be a paid option for those who do not want Renderworks because they are using C4D almost exclusively for renderings. Then the rest of us can still have the option of buying Renderworks if they don't want to use C4D or not buy it at all if they don't need 3D rendering.

There are a lot of ways that we could go about it. Personally I'm in the "Integrate Renderworks into all Vectorworks software by default at no extra charge, and then dramatically improve export/send to C4D capability for advanced work." camp.

Ideally I would just like to see more of C4D's controls exposed directly in Vectorworks, but there are apparently a large number of licensing and legal issues completely separate from the complexity of integrating it from an engineering standpoint alone.

You can expect us to do both, improving the rendering inside Vectorworks and also improving the connection with C4D.

Thanks for the details about your preferred workflow, it is helpful when we are setting priorities for development.

Edited by Dave Donley
There are a lot of ways that we could go about it. Personally I'm in the "Integrate Renderworks into all Vectorworks software by default at no extra charge, and then dramatically improve export/send to C4D capability for advanced work." camp.

Ideally I would just like to see more of C4D's controls exposed directly in Vectorworks, but there are apparently a large number of licensing and legal issues completely separate from the complexity of integrating it from an engineering standpoint alone.

This is 100% exactly my feeling and wish for future development.

I also wish that C4D could be more fully integrated with Renderworks. Working with Renderworks Textures often makes me feel that the range of controls and shader options are a vestige from the old LightWorks engine and are limiting us from using all of CineRender's shader capabilities.

[Example - Try to make a realistic-looking white sanitary porcelain or SSTL appliance texture in Renderworks. The Brushed shader in Renderworks renders slowly and offers none of the controls possible in C4D].

It appears that ArchiCAD 18 completely integrated all of CineRender, including the ability to directly read Cinema4D shader files. That's the direction that I wish future Renderworks development would go. ArchiCAD 18 - Working with Shaders

Maybe the licensing and legal issues could be smoothed over by just renaming it 'Renderworks powered by CineRender', or maybe just simply 'Vectorworks CineRender'. ;)

I think we agree that VW should have the ability to decent Renderings

for Architecture, Landscape, and Spotlight,

but in an simple, easy and intuitive way.

And that there is a working and reliable Exchange to common Rendering

Packages for those who need more.

Yes, I paid and do so still for RW, which I don't wanted but needed for exchange.

But started loving to do some basic visualization stuff in VW again like I did

in other CAD Apps before.

If that RW functionality is needed anyway for 80% of VW users, I don't care if

I pay extra for RW or more for a complete VW package.

Just seeing that all others have similar solutions included, some even more

(Allplan), I would see RW better included for free though.

And I see a lot of improvement to make RW better accessible in VW for the

majority of users. The introduction of most of latest effect features I see

not very productive in that direction.

For example is it really needed to assign 6 types of Materials per Class.

Wouldn't that be better restricted to Wall/Roof Styles like it is for

Slabs, Windows and Doors ?

I mean I do all 6 tedious options each time anyway. First I can better recognize

in Class Organisation that there are already Materials assigned to that Class,

YYYYYY against NNNNNY, second I fear there could be a Roof or Wall one time

in my Class.

Those things we edit in VW/RW are called Materials everywhere else,

not Render Textures. A Material may contain one or more Texture Images,

beside it contains a lot of Material Settings.

Materials or Textures must never be edited or renamed by an App.

That naming is holy user content. I spend years to collect and name my Textures

in my Texture library, that I can recognize these and find them again.

Even in VW, when I want to re use my Texture "Concrete_Fine_Bright_Diffuse.jpg"

again, I don't want to have to search now for a "Class Wall_Interior Diffuse"

And want I use these Textures in a common Project Texture Folder from all my Apps,

under the same name. And if I edit one of these Textures in PS I want to have

that resembled in all Materials of all Apps that use that Texture Image.

If VW insists on saving these in the file, ok, I will have to refresh or exchange the

images manually, not a big deal, but don't rename these.

And when I want to assign one Material to several Objects and Classes,

that means that I want to assign that single same Material to all of these.

So that I can edit it later, like a Symbol, and all assigned Objects change.

So there mustn't be made copies for each Class when Exporting the VW Data in

any way. How should I be able to find, control and edit my Materials in C4D

again if my Material "Concrete_Fine" with Texture "Concrete_Fine_Bright_Diffuse.jpg"

Will appear with 5 copies called "Class Wall_Interior", "Class Column", "Class Wall_Exterior" ...

with each having their own renamed Image Texture.

Find these again between other over 60 Materialcopies, that were once 20 easy controllable Materials in VW.

Vincent, what you described worked for VW and C4D too.

Until C4D R11, when Maxon was in charge of the Exchange Plugin.

I tried it that time, so when I bought VW 2014 I had no idea that it

could be different today.

Don't quite understand why VW does by themselves now and why

it now works different.