Vectorworks 2016

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Hi, I actually got a question about Python support. Which version will be included? Is it still v3.3 or higher? The reason I ask this is because I want to use enums, but they are only included from v3.4.

That isn't something I can discuss yet, apologies. The scope of which 2016 features I can provide details on is still limited.

To follow on Tom's questions about schedules / worksheets, from the screenshot that JimW posted, it appears the only Layers are available for 'check out'.

Question: Does a worksheet have to reside on a Layer in order to be checked out? Or can anything in the Project File's Resources be checked out?

Thanks.

It helps some. The big one is centralized project resources.

Still confused on what happens if somebody edits a schedule/worksheet that affects a layer that is check out. I guess all will be revealed in time!

Thanks JIM!

If you were going to edit something, you would have to temporarily check out that layer, whether you were editing it via worksheets or directly. The user that had it checked out would check it back in, then you could make your changes and commit them, then work would continue. There will always be a record of who has what checked out and when they did it/why.

To follow on Tom's questions about schedules / worksheets, from the screenshot that JimW posted, it appears the only Layers are available for 'check out'.

Question: Does a worksheet have to reside on a Layer in order to be checked out? Or can anything in the Project File's Resources be checked out?

Thanks.

Layers are what gets functionally checked out, I believe if you wanted to push changes to a resource that resided on multiple layers then it would prompt you to either check those layers out, or if permissions allowed you to edit resources, you would be permitted to admin-push those changes the next time any affected users committed their changes. I will confirm though, my personal testing did not center on resource management.

Hi all,

I use C4D and I do a lot of xpresso setups for custom objects, is Marionette kind of the same?

Cheers,

Juan

Functionally they are very similar and have the same purpose, however one would not transfer directly into the other from C4D > Vectorworks, for instance.

Hi all,

I use C4D and I do a lot of xpresso setups for custom objects, is Marionette kind of the same?

Cheers,

Juan

Functionally they are very similar and have the same purpose, however one would not transfer directly into the other from C4D > Vectorworks, for instance.

Of course, not planning to "port" my objects :D but it is awesome, so my knowledge in xpresso will help me to do setups in Marionette then.

Cheers,

Juan

Can Marionette be used to update/edit existing (self-created) scripts and plug-in objects? Or do they have to be recreated from scratch in Marionette first before you can start making changes?

I believe it can be hooked in to existing objects or at least alter their field values, however I have not seen any examples so far other than Marionette objects created from the ground up.

Hi Jim,

I too am very interested in Marionette and the sub divs. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does this mean it will be possible to do Voroni stuff like this:

I have seen some work done specifically on this however, since I last replied to this question.

Interesting. Is there a node to interpolate an image or perhaps a noise texture from Renderworks? I've seen some great Grasshopper examples where an image is translated to an array of circles and the circle diameter correlates to the darkness/lightness of the image. This essentially creates a pixellated image out of circles.....

Kevin

Interesting. Is there a node to interpolate an image or perhaps a noise texture from Renderworks? I've seen some great Grasshopper examples where an image is translated to an array of circles and the circle diameter correlates to the darkness/lightness of the image. This essentially creates a pixellated image out of circles.....

Kevin

Not that I have seen so far.

I am sure I have seen this functionality at work in C4D do with it's scripting language. Whilst I wouldn't expect it in the next version of Vectorworks — the back end frameworks should be there if we ask.

The above is in reference to the below?

Interesting. Is there a node to interpolate an image or perhaps a noise texture from Renderworks? I've seen some great Grasshopper examples where an image is translated to an array of circles and the circle diameter correlates to the darkness/lightness of the image. This essentially creates a pixellated image out of circles

Just clarifying, I will file a request if so.

according to the subdivision tool... will it be possible to define a symmetry plane while working on a model?

i.e. working in the front view, having a symmetry line defined in the center of the object and only transform on the control points to the right and have the left side act the same?

according to the subdivision tool... will it be possible to define a symmetry plane while working on a model?

i.e. working in the front view, having a symmetry line defined in the center of the object and only transform on the control points to the right and have the left side act the same?

Not in the initial release. Many of the beta testers (myself included) have marked this high on the list for enhancing the tool in addition to additional conversion options to make starting out from basic shapes that were already easy enough to create with the existing 3D modeling tools easier.