How to model Interior wall tile?

How can I apply that to a portion of a wall surface? If your familiar with revit I'm looking for something similar to a split surface and paint tool where I can essentially just paint it on to the gyp. I tried applying a pattern to a 3d polygon along the wall surface but it doesn't seem to show up.

The 3d poly is good. Another way is to add a component to the interior face of the wall object. Thickness = tile + setting bed + any backer applied to the adjacent surface. Adjust the top & bot offsets of the new component as needed to position the component. Create a class and assign it to the component. In the Class Texture settings, use the Other Tab, not the Wall tab.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12167&filename=WallComponent.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • 6 years later...

Hi, there! So I am 6 years late to this thread!
Here I am wondering what would be the recomended workflow whenever there's a wall that has tiles in the bathroom and plaster+paint in the bedroom.

I feel like simply splitting the walls and replacing with a new wall style with tiles. However, it does seems to come with a cost later on in case I need to move my walls.

00.PNG.thumb.png.bcfed51504387137048e9867532d68a0.png

In addition, would you create a new wall style for every tile texture in the project? Say I have 10 different tiles in the project 😁, should I duplicate my wall styles to each one of them? Seems cumbersome, but could be handy later on worksheet schedules...

Looking forward to suggestions.
Thanks, Luiza!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 1:06 PM, luiza_finger said:

Hi, there! So I am 6 years late to this thread!
Here I am wondering what would be the recomended workflow whenever there's a wall that has tiles in the bathroom and plaster+paint in the bedroom.

I feel like simply splitting the walls and replacing with a new wall style with tiles. However, it does seems to come with a cost later on in case I need to move my walls.

00.PNG.thumb.png.bcfed51504387137048e9867532d68a0.png

In addition, would you create a new wall style for every tile texture in the project? Say I have 10 different tiles in the project 😁, should I duplicate my wall styles to each one of them? Seems cumbersome, but could be handy later on worksheet schedules...

Looking forward to suggestions.
Thanks, Luiza!

If your policy is to keep the model 'clean' and use the data (information) to the fullest extent of the model's abilities, then I would create separate wall types and split the wall as you suggested  This way, my wall and finish schedule automatically updates eliminating coordination (I admit that it can get messy if walls need to move; but, it is much better to keep things organized).  If it is a really small project where I can get by with just some notes added manually, then I make a 3/8" extrusion next to the wall and put it on a 'tile' class for rendering purposes (this can get messy and hard to find if you need to go back to the project at a later date.)  

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

And here I am another 6 years later to give you a response. 😃
After all, I finded myself making the extrusion you suggested second and adding to the wall as wall projection. We dont need the finish schedules for this, so I it seemed much simpler to just do it like that. With these big tiles, nowadays, we end up counting them manually as the area does not garanteed us the correct tile amount due to cutting losses.

In some cases, we have been simply making the extrusion and making auto-hybrid just to get the proper visualization we want on plan view.
Seems more straightforward for small projects, as ours.
Thanks, @Ron Kwaske

• Like 1