VW 10 special edition

We've started working with Cinema 4d lately. Somewhere I saw an announcement of a 'special edition' of Vectorworks 10, which would allow direct Im- and Export of files. Does anybody work with this and is it worth the effort? (We would have to switch to Cinema Release 8, which in my opinion is of no advantage to us)

I have been considering purchasing the Cinema 4D ?Vectorworks Edition? to use for architectural modeling. Does anyone have an opinion as to how Cinema 4D compares to other 3D modeling programs? The animation features are not of great use to me, but I am very interested in the modeling capabilities of the program, and the ability to intergrate well with Vectorworks is appealing.

I have been using C4D V7 with VW 9.5 for the last year or so and i have to say that it is the best 3D package i have ever used. Easy to use and clever interface. Brilliant lighting (especially radiosity). Materials are also very easy to work with. I am not that interested in the animation part of it either but there is enough in the rest of the package to make any 3D stills producer more than happy. The one thing i would say tough is to buy an aftermarket manual as the ones that come with it are just average.

I have asked Maxon if the plugin is available for Version 7 of the package and they say no but i deffinately read on their site that it is.......! I have worked relatively happily with imported dxf's from VW but the fact that it is know available with the direct import option is an added bonus.

Thumbs up from me....! [smile]

Ritchie:

Thank you for your input.

Are you using Cinema 4d for modeling, or primarily for rendering? The idea of generating a fairly rough model in Vectorworks and then importing it to Cinema 4d to add detail and rendering is appealing to me. Is this how you use the program?

I have download the Cinema 4d demo, but it is a hard program to get a handle on quickly, especially with the demo?s limited documentation.

I mainly use C4D for rendering as i found that doing the modeling in it was a bit of a waste of time when you can do it very quickly and accurately in VW. I do the bare bones modellling in VW, import it as a dxf (having drawn with classes in VW sorts objects with similar materials into groups) then apply materials, lighting etc..... in C4D. I have done a bit of modelling in C4D and dont get me wrong it is very powerful, but for architectural modeling VW is perfect.