Record format populate from symbol attribute?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a record format populate from a symbol's location? for example, I have a symbol in my template file for a line set schedule, that is itself made up multiple instances of another symbol for each individual line set. The individual lineset symbol has a record that lets me fill in it's distance from plaster line, it's line set number and what's on it. is it possible to have the record for the distance from PL auto populate with the symbol's "Y" coordinate? That way I don't have to type it in twice whenever I set up a lineset schedule for a new venue - once in the symbol's "Y" coordinate field, and again in the record's "dist from PL" field.

Thanks

There's not a built in way to do it. But it's not too hard.

I suppose you could make all your linesets be lighting instruments. I don't remember if the field was added in 2015 or 2014, but you can call the field ='Lighting Device'.'Y Location' in any lighting device.

But that's sort of a hack.

I use a super simple trick for this very problem.

In the worksheet have a column formatted as a dimension that calls the record format and field for the lineset distance to plaster line.

Add an additional temporary column that calls =YCOORDINATE*12

Select all the database cells in the temporary column. Copy.

Select all the database cells in the record format.distance to plaster line column. Paste.

Since the linesets rarely move, you only have to do it once.

hth

mk

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing about lighting fixtures that helps this.

I do it all the time with a variety of curtain and batten symbols in a worksheet rather than some other object. In the worksheet just limit the classes to the ones used for rigging gear. the Xcoordinate & Ycoordinate functions work on any object type.

I always like to place my origin at the plaster line for just this purpose. However you could add the differential if you wanted something else.

I recall posting some worksheets in the sharing folders some years ago. If you need help, just ask.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a record format populate from a symbol's location? for example, I have a symbol in my template file for a line set schedule, that is itself made up multiple instances of another symbol for each individual line set. The individual lineset symbol has a record that lets me fill in it's distance from plaster line, it's line set number and what's on it. is it possible to have the record for the distance from PL auto populate with the symbol's "Y" coordinate? That way I don't have to type it in twice whenever I set up a lineset schedule for a new venue - once in the symbol's "Y" coordinate field, and again in the record's "dist from PL" field.

Thanks

I did something much like this simply writing a small VectorScript. However, I don't know if this would work for symbols within another symbol. But, it would be fairly simple with just the multiple line set symbols.

I did something much like this simply writing a small VectorScript. However, I don't know if this would work for symbols within another symbol. But, it would be fairly simple with just the multiple line set symbols.

Do you still have the script? I don't have a lot of experience using scripts. It'd be great to see how it worked.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...