Navigation palette weirdness in workspace

Hi,

I should start this off by saying that I'm a mac user.

I have a custom workspace that I've been using and editing for a few years now, I simply convert it to the new version of VW each year. I'd never had a problem with it until 2015. As soon as I started using it 2015, I immediately noticed a problem with the Navigation Palette - it wouldn't open. I would have the collapsed title bar for the navigation palette on the screen, but whenever I would try to open it, the title bar would just jump halfway down the screen...and remain closed. I was finally able to fix the problem (I don't remember exactly what I had to do, but it had something to do with copying the workspace and renaming it). Since then, I've been able to use it with no problem, and have updated it even further, and renamed it as my workflow has evolved - and it's still working just fine.

Here's where the issue is: I'm trying to install my workspace on my girlfriend's mac (running the latest VW 2015 - though hers is "educational" and mine is paid) and the same issue has popped back up. The navigation palette is useless. I've tried editing/renaming/copying it on her Mac and have had no luck. Just to be clear: the very same workspace that works perfectly on my Mac, will not work on hers.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I know having this problem can be unpalatable....

Have you tried removing the standard palettes from the workspace and then re-adding it from the existing menu commands?

After doing so, maybe even close VW and then reopen?

Just a thought FWIW....that maybe you have a corrupted palette?

I know having this problem can be unpalatable....

Have you tried removing the standard palettes from the workspace and then re-adding it from the existing menu commands?

After doing so, maybe even close VW and then reopen?

Just a thought FWIW....that maybe you have a corrupted palette?

I don't see how to remove the palettes from the workspace. How does that work? I'm also just confused - why would the workspace work on my computer, but not hers?

Thanks

I can't answer the second question.

Review how to customize your workspace via the help system.

Try the following:

Go to Tools>Workspaces>Edit a copy of the current workspace (or Edit the current workspace).

This will call up the workspace editor dialog.

Select the Menus tab

On the left side select the Palettes commands.

On the right side select the Window menu.

Then within that Window menu select the Palettes menu(which will drop down a group of palettes). Click on any one in the group and the whole group will select. Hit delete. ALL of them will disappear.

On the left side of the dialog window, click on the Standard Palettes and drag it over to the the right side and drop it right onto the Palettes menu. The Palette menu should highlight as you hover and then all the palettes will be inserted.

Now click OK and you should be good. If not, maybe contact tech support and get their take. My knowledge is pretty much limited to the above. Good Luck!

I might also suggest you rebuild your whole workspace as Pat recommends.

Edited by bc
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately it is very often required that a workspace from more than 2+ versions back be rebuilt. There is a project in the work to alleviate this annoyance.

It is entirely possible to have a workspace behave as corrupt on one machine and not another, even if they share the same OS and hardware, I've verified that here on seemingly identical machines, where the only difference was the user account (which can actually contribute to many different kinds of problems, so it makes SOME sense).

Would this weirdness have anything to do with V2015 losing my keyboard shortcut for 'Pan', which I had set to be the space bar?

It is, or was, saved in an edited workspace, and it disappeared today. As well, I can't seem to assign the space bar to Pan anymore. Which is a bummer.

Pressing the space bar sometimes gets a flicker of the hand icon, but it won't stick. It seems to have disappeared from 2014 as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hmmmm. That's weird. Space at is still "pan" for me.

No, the weirdness I'm talking about is that the navigation palette won't open. when I double click on the title bar of the navigation pallete (to open it), the title bar just jumps halfway down the screen, and stays closed. Basically, there's no way to open the navigation pallete.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

And if you double click on the title bar for that palette, it doesn't expand?

If not, then its normally best to reset back to a default workspace:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1099/Resetting+Vectorworks+Preferences

Or use an alternate one, if you have more than one customized, if you're not rebuilding the workspace again from the default.

• 3 months later...

This is an issue I've seen from time to time on colleague's Mac machines (I'm a Windows user and haven't seen this on any of my machines).

BUT it's currently causing me a giant headache. I'm teaching a Vectorworks class to 12 students and want them to have the same workspace as me (I use quite a few custom shortcuts to improve efficiency). So I shared the workspace with all of them, along with some templates and favorite resource files.

Of the 10 students who are using Macs, 7 of these display this annoying Navigation Palette issue! It's ridiculous!

I built this workspace from scratch in 2015 last fall, so there was no version migration.

I'm not even sure at this point how to solve the problem. I don't want to take the time to rebuild it since it was already a rebuilt workspace. I don't have a Mac that I could try rebuilding it on either.

I have a Pro license and they're all on Educational, but that doesn't seem to be the problem since a few of the Macs work.

Any suggestions?