What is the Viewport Drawing Title for?

It helps with drawing labels.

Try putting a drawing label inside the annotations of the viewport. The [Drawing Title] in the OIP of the viewport will show up in the label of the drawing label object.

You can also create a section viewport right from the SLVP and the drawing labels will coordinate. Just select the plan view viewport, View>Create Section Viewport and draw the section line and indicate which way to look. The section line will be sucked into the annotation of that viewport.

A new section viewport will be created with a drawing label (if the appropriate box it ticked). The label in the section line will coordinate with the number of the drawing label.

The confusion comes in the Name of the viewport vs the Drawing Title. The Name is in the Data tab of the OIP. That's the name that shows up in the Nav Palette under viewports. The drawing title shows up in the drawing label object.

I often wish the two were connected.

MK

Super description of what the Drawing Title uses above me. ^_^

Two titbits from me:

I always tell my students that the Viewport Name is what you'll see, the Drawing Title is what your client will see.

As Michael mentioned the Viewport Name will appear in your Navigation listings and the data related to the Viewport. The Drawing Title should appear whenever your make a reference to the viewport at the sheet/annotation level, most commonly through the Drawing Label tool.

Secondly the Drawing Label tool has a frustrating catch that you'll need to look out for. Upon first insertion you'll most probably be faced with the setup dialog. The biggest tip is to ignore filling the fields out and just hit OK. This make VW pull the handy data out, such as Drawing Title, Scale, Sheet Number and Consecutive Numbering.

J

The most important reason for using Drawing Titles is clear communication. Say you're talking to someone about a sheet of drawings on the phone. Its very easy to relate to a specific element on a sheet if its numbered and has a label. They're also important because they're able to show the actual scale of a viewport when they're placed in the annotations and the scale updates if you change the viewport scale.

The confusion comes in the Name of the viewport vs the Drawing Title. The Name is in the Data tab of the OIP. That's the name that shows up in the Nav Palette under viewports. The drawing title shows up in the drawing label object.

I often wish the two were connected.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about VW. It started because VW actually uses the name of the Viewport as a table of contents marker when it generates a PDF.

I've wished for this to be fixed many, many times. For a long time, if I could have one VW wish come true, this would have been it. (Just thinking about it actually makes me angry. I used to spend so much time messing with this.)

The viewport name should be sheet#.drawingnumber+drawing name (ie. 1.4 General Plan) and VW should auto co-ordinate it. It requires that they all be unique and this is the only way I can see it working since its possible to have two "plan" drawings in one file.

I currently use a script I wrote to make the viewport names match my drawing names. I'm careful to keep all of my drawing names unique.

There is one other quirk with this a the moment. Only certain types of viewports (Section, Detail) allow you to edit the drawing name and drawing number from the OIP when the viewport is selected. Regular viewports only allow you to the drawing name, not the drawing number.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Only certain types of viewports (Section, Detail) allow you to edit the drawing name and drawing number from the OIP when the viewport is selected. Regular viewports only allow you to the drawing name, not the drawing number.

Don't get me started!

I wish the annotation space was more permeable.

I'd like to see a way to edit everything about the drawing label from outside the annotation space - in the viewport OIP.

Also, I've watched many newer users (…and, ahem, myself…) accidentally start drawing 2D geometry on top of a viewport or in a design layer that was meant for an SLVP annotation. I wish there was a good way to select an object and tell it that it really belongs in a viewport annotation, please run along.

Until then, I recommend Matthew's Panzercad Clip Pad.

mk

Edit: Clip pad is great for moving objects from a design layer to an SLVP annotation. Not as helpful when you draw on top of an SLVP

I'm going to shamelessly steal the idea of a script that populates the name of a viewport with the sheet / drawing number / drawing name.

Edited by michaelk
I'm going to shamelessly steal the idea of a script that populates the name of a viewport with the sheet / drawing number / drawing name.

I'm happy to share mine but it only matches the viewport name to the drawing name. Its pretty rudimentary. Its in the attached VW file.

Making it be sheet / drawing number / drawing name is an even better idea....

KM