Speed problems VW 10

JimN

The speed that you can draw in VW 10 is anoyingly slow compared to VW 8.5. when trying to snap on and then move lines for example. Snapping onto the ends of lines can be a game in itself. However, 10.1 doesn't help and sometimes even crashes if you try to come out of groups and snap on a line before it has finished.

I use a dual gig G4 and still have these problems together with the other 14 seats in our office. Any ideas?

I had the same problem. It went away with VWA10.1. but....there is another thing I changed which probably caused the improvement. The computer is 2 weeks old and I just added a 512MB RAM to the the existing 256MB that came with it the same day as VW10.1. If a few applications were open it would mean OS10 is swapping memory on the hard drive slowing things down. (?)

I noticed that the get info on VW10 shows a memory configuration as if it were an OS9 application. Why is this?

henry

MAC 1.25Ghz dual, 768MB ram, OS10.2.4

My copy of FileMakerPro 5.5 which is a carbon application also shows the memory configuration tab in the info window of OS X.

I am fairly sure it is just a matter of who writes the code as to whether you can see it or not in OS X. In VectorWorks, you can see the configuration, but the entry boxes are static, and cannot be changed. In FileMaker, you can actually change the numbers in the boxes.

But either way, I am sure the configuration only applies to OS 9, since in OS X, memory is assigned automatically.

This issue of speed has appeared in a number of posts. When I was reading them at the time i was using OS9 and did not pay much attention. Now that I am using OS10 and VW9.5.3, I too experience the slowness.

It gets to a point where I have to quit VW and relaunch. This is a temporary fix as the program continues to slow down. i do not think this is isolated to Jim's particular file.

My experience of switching to OS10 has been positive except for using Vectorworks under OS10. Using OS10 has allowed me the use of OS10 native applications that cannot run under OS9. The downside is that VW is slower under OS10. The slowness only gets worse until it is intolerable. I cannot imagine that memory is an issue as I have 1GB of RAM.

[ 03-01-2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Kevin ]

Overall, there is a slowness in OS 10.anything over OS 9.

Make sure when you compare the speed of VW in OS 10, you are comparing a previous version that was running under the same exact OS.

If you are comparing VW 10 to VW 8 where VW 8 was under OS 9 and VW 10 is under OS 10, yes, there is a slowness - it's operating system related.

VW 10 should be the speed if not faster in most operations than VW 8.

Katie, it's very disappointing to learn that VectorWorks with OS10 has actually slowed down in speed very significantly over the previous OS's and that there is therefore nothing that can be done. If this is correct I can foresee thousands of users giving up not only on VectorWorks but on Apple, for purely commercial reasons. This takes VectorWorks from a professional commercial package to a domestic one - a very retrograde step.

However, I am told that the VectorWorks 10 for Windows is just as slow........

VW 10 is faster than VW 8 and VW 9, if not more so.

A few things may be a tiny bit slower -- about .125 of a second because of a callout loop in programing, but otherwise, it's miles faster in many operations, especially solid operations.

We do extensive speed tests on various platforms with each release/update and compare the same exact opeartions on the same exact computers as previous versions to give a fair test. Just about every single test has shown significant speed improvements between VW 9.5.3 and VW 10.1.

Under OS 10, just about all programs are slower than the speed they ran at under OS 9. Apple has made mountains move in the speed improvements since OS 10.1 first came out, but it still needs some work.

I'm sure Apple is working on addressing these issues more and more as technology advances.

Katie,

The academic exercise of justifying speed is interesting but really not of practical use. Whether the current version of Vectorworks is technically faster than the previous one is not the issue. What concerns me most is that the current Vectorworks (10.1) on the current OS (10.2.4) is slower by far than we work and is causing my staff frustration and me earache. This problem did not arise with VW8.5 on OS 9.

My staff believe that Vectorworks is a second rate programme and under the circumstances I find this is hard to defend. I will have to try to keep them pacified until either Apple decides to upgrade or the PC gets the better of us.

Katie

I have just tried VW10.1 with OS 9.2.2 and after a few HASP4 hurdles got it working. Unfortunately it was no better.

On a 4Mb drawing, when selecting a line, the cursor can take nearly 2 seconds to change from the cross to the 'extend' oblique line. Mistakes or time-wasting results. This is easily the most used tool and it seems ridiculous that it cannot be used instantly.

Any other suggestions most welcome.

Ian,

We DO test on multi-platforms with various speed test files and executions. When a problem is specific to a user, we ask the user to rule out certain changes to see if it's OS related, computer related of VW version related.

We cannot possible read into everyone's computer and know the configuration on those computers as everyone has completely different settings.

You say you are having a slowness when switching from a top view to an iso view?

Do you have slowness by just drawing 2d lines and shapes?

What exact OS are you using?

If it's running slow when snap (contraints) are turned on, and layer options are set to show snap modify others, by just mousing across the file, selecting things, drawing simple lines ... this is probably related to a bug in VW 10.x. OUr engineers are currently working on the problem.

If you are having slowness/crashes because of anything else .. it's more of a specific computer issue more than likely.

I've heard buzz on different apple sites about older computers, especially the G3s and OS 10.2.4 having video related issues. Crashing while copying and pasting objects can be linked to this problem.

Also, having classic running with VW running can cause alot of memory related crashes and issues - depending on the extension set of classic. This is largely related to memory.

Last but not least, permissions can cause all kinds of weird things.

If you have a file that is acting really slow and want me to take a look at the file to see if it's related to the bug mentioned above, I can take a look at those.

Just email them to me.

Hi Katie;

I've been out of town. In answer to your question, I am using OS10.2.3. I am not sure that my specific issue/question is being addressed.

Using VW8.5.3 under OS9.2.2, no complaint.

Using VW9.5.3 under OS9.2.2, no complaint.

Using VW9.5.3 under OS10.2.3, there is a problem.

The problem is that the program slows down over time. It gets so slow that I have to quit and relaunch. As an example, if I click on an object to select it. It will take as long as 3 or 4 seconds for that object to show it's handles and become selected. Therefore it can take 20 seconds to simply select 5 separate objects.

Kevin,

How long are you working in the files before they slow down?

Do you generally restart the computer at the end of the day, or do you leave it on all the time ?

am reading this thread with interest as i too am becoming increasingly frustrated with having to wait for VW to catch up and listening to other staff in the office complain about VW10 being slower. Changing from the cross to the oblique is particularly frustrating.

Was VW10 tested for use in a commercial architectural practice where speed is a major factor in 2d drafting?.

Whilst i do not disagree that more complex functions may be faster than previous versions why does this appear to be at the expense of basic drafting.

I would imagine that the vast majority of users rely on a CAD system from which to earn a living and the most important factor in this is speed. A competent CAD operator needs the CAD programme to keep up with them not have to wait for it to catch up.

Nemetschek - WE do not have the time to test various combinations of OS and VW versions we rely on you to do that for us. We also rely on you to provide new releases that are better than previous. An upgrade, after all, means just that.

Sorry for the negative comment but VW before 10 was great, now, well!!!!

Katie

We had the slowing down of machines as the day progressed but this seems to have been resolved with 10.2.4 & VW 10.1.

Our problem now (apart from speed) is that machines are crashing without notice and not for any seemingly obvious reason. This is happening at anything from half-hour intervals. It is not happening on machines that we have not upgraded (sic) to VW 10.1. This is losing us serious time, money and morale.

Perhaps you could suggest to your R&D chaps that they concentrate on getting the basic functions working properly before adding anything else. At least that way you will keep the users you have at present.