3DS export

I just did a bunch of exporting to 3DS format to import into another program.

What determines the value of the file unit? (without scaling)

My VW is kept in Feet/Inches but it seems to export with MM units. Granted I didn't do a full investigation, but I did get confused.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It SHOULD export at the smallest unit set in the file, so it it was in Feet-and-Inches and the software you were importing it into only supported Feet OR Inches, it would default to inches.

I've only imported 3DS into a few applications from exports out of Vectorworks but the scale never seemed to be off in those tests.

Everything is to scale, the only question is which scale?

In most of my imports (including Capture Argo that prompted this question) it simply asks for a scale, which is not the same as identifying the source file unit or the new system unit. I've never used any single other program often enough to really get is sorted.

In this last case the correct scale was .03937 inches and I think there was a rounding error and I had to scale up in VW to get valid results. So Argo was looking for millimeters from VW inches. I recall having a variety of issues earlier and thought I'd get a definitive answer.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think people are trying to export the other way (VW to Sketchup, unless there is a dedicated skp exporter as well now)

...or at least I am and would like to add to the list of people having scale issues (VW Designer 2015 SP 2) and its a pain when I have clients that want to view models in sketchup and each time I do a revision I have to export and correct the scale which is a pain.

• 1 year later...

Has this issue been resolved..???

Trying to get a site model out of VW into Sketchup and scale is not translating in  3DS or seemingly any other format!!. I've tried setting different scales, exporting different scales...shouldnt be as complicated as this apparently is..

2 minutes ago, nca777 said:

Has this issue been resolved..???

Trying to get a site model out of VW into Sketchup and scale is not translating in  3DS or seemingly any other format!!. I've tried setting different scales, exporting different scales...shouldnt be as complicated as this apparently is..

No issue was confirmed, scale exported as expected here with test geometry. If you have a file where it isn't working, post and we can take a look. If the file can't be public, contact tech@vectorworks.net with it and they can troubleshoot.

Something is very wrong but I can not determine what. If anything it seems like Site Model objects are to blame, but when I create an extrude or convert the site to a mesh, same problem exporting to 3DS. Get this to tech@vectorworks and reference this thread please, they'll be able to take a closer, longer look.

Jim,

thanks for your promp reply and help.

Is there a number I can call to follow up with tech support, maybe someone who specializes in landscape/architecture? I am under the gun as usual and frustrated this is a really simple task that is now eating into my day ...thanks

Just now, JimW said:

I did not know that! I'll file that to be improved, either it shouldn't require mm as a unit or it should alert the user to this upon export.

Agreed...I asked the tech to file a request to simply add an 'export to sketchup' option. ARchicad and Revit are also software we interoperate with most as well..thanks for the help

• Like 1