Jagged line work in isometric views

Garry, since your screen is a field of pixels that is pretty coarse, compared to most printer output, you are going to see that jaggedness no matter what (they call it "aliasing"). Whenever your line crosses from one row of pixels to the next, there has to be a jump. The reason you are seeing it in an iso view is that you have angled lines that cross the rows of pixels. The more "shallow" the angle, the more noticable the jump. If you look at printer output with a magnifying glass, it will be jagged, too, but on a much finer grain.

[ 02-28-2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Right. An example. I've been working on a kitchen, which has the usual objects in it.

In plan, front, left, etc. views, the line work

is fine. When I go to an iso, the lines become

jagged,[ on the screen, not on a print].

Katie, says this is how it is, there is not a

problem.

I send out a lot of image files [jpegs], to clients during the design process and

the jpegs are a copy of what I have on the

screen. Jagged line work.

Other than printing, scanning and creating

a "smooth" copy, to e-mail, I don't know how

what else to do. I would appreciate

any input.

thanks for your interest

Garry,

Sorry, I didn't read your post thoroughly. To produce a JPEG that can be printed or enlarged on screen without the jagged lines, save at a resolution greater than the default 72 dpi. This requires you to also CHANGE THE IMAGE SIZE. Otherwise, you will get a tiny image at 600 dpi, not what you want. I usually save at 300 dpi (3000 pixels wide for a landscape letter-size output), or 600 dpi / 6000 pixels for something that can be printed in "best" mode, or that you can zoom in on without a great deal of jaggedness.

I assume you are aware that you save an image using the "File -> Import/Export -> Export Image File" menu tool. VW 10 has a great new feature which allows you to drag a marquee around what part of the drawing or screen you want to save.

[ 03-01-2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

I didn't know you were even exporting this file to an image file, much less getting the jaggies when exporting to an image file.

I was under the impression that you were getting the jagged lines on the screen, which is normal in isometirc views in CAD applications.

When you export it to an image file, depending on what format you export it as, the jagged lines are smoothed because of the properties of that image file and smoothing capabilities.

In CAD, isometric views are drawing a 3d line which will give you a jagged line when looking on the screen - unless you have the resolution of the monitor set to a super high value and you have a video card that is out of this world.