Forum Maintenance - Tuesday, September 18th 2019 - 5PM EST Read more... ×
Vincent C

Classes Not Scrolling

Question

OK this is new, started working on a Windows 7 machine and I can't mouse wheel scroll the classes pull down list ie. when I want to change the active class and/or when I want to change a selected objects class in the OIP. (Only the little arrows at the top and bottom work....)

Any ideas?

Edited by Vincent C

Haha, lol, that's a very old one! I reported it a long time ago, but it's still not solved, that's why I always advice to have your classes structured in a good way, so that you don't ever need to scroll, use the 4 levels we can use and you'll never have any trouble with it. Plus it will be more clear to select a certain class for any user.

Edited by Dieter @ DWorks

It works on OS X.

On Mac, additionally you can pull the cursor over the lists end to make it scroll

by itself. Although that "scroll" speed is pretty low.

Maybe that is related to the fact that on Windows you normally have to click

into a field before you can scroll. And that this is not possible here without

selecting a Class.

Edited by zoomer

Looks like this was broken and fixed a number of times between 2010 and now.

I don't see a currently active case, submitting this as a bug now.

I have the same issue with classes on the menu bar.

Scrolling the classes in the navigation palette works fine on my VW2015 on Windows 10 (and did fine on Win 8/8.1) so maybe you could use that as an alternative.

I have the same issue with classes on the menu bar.

Scrolling the classes in the navigation palette works fine on my VW2015 on Windows 10 (and did fine on Win 8/8.1) so maybe you could use that as an alternative.

Nope it's when I want to change the class of an object.......

...the behaviour should be such that the default jumps to the existing class in the list and then mouse wheel scrolling should take you up and down.

As it is now the list opens at the top and you need to use the arrows to scroll the list aaaaaaaalllllll the way down etc....... TEDIOUS like mad.

Yes, I see what you mean when using the OIP the classes do not scroll, nor do the layers in the dropdown menu in the OIP.

This is really cumbersome when you have a lot of classes and/or layers.

So it seems the issue is at least not Windows version dependent but solely within Vectorworks for Windows itself.

Not sure, however in the past it looks like it has been a recurring issue, sometimes fixed in SPs and sometimes fixed in whole versions, so it may be possible in either.

This use to be the case with selecting a wall (and not from the OIP). But now VW2016 has a much better setup that allows for easier navigation in the current document and in your personal setup. VW still has little things here and there that are not consistent in design which can throw your work flow out of whack if but for a few seconds.

Just been working on my Mac again and there I see that the classes list in the OIP is in fact show as hierarchical? Can this be changed. If not why is it not show as an hierarchical list in Windows? That would also save me A LOT of scrolling (frustration)?!

Edited by Vincent C

Unless it's different in 2016 from 2015, classes show hierarchical in the OIP in 2015 on Windows on my computer and it cannot be changed as far as I can tell.

Strange Art I'm not seeing this, I just checked and I get a non hierarchical list in v2015 too?!

Perhaps a Windows 7 thing?

I'm talking about this pulldown list:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13078&filename=Classes.PNG

Edited by Vincent C

Classes definitely show as hierarchical in the OIP on a Mac in both VW2015 and VW2016. I looked for a way to toggle it on and off but I don't think its possible. The two other toggles I know of only affect their respective areas (Class list in the Navigation Palette and in the Organization dialog on the Classes tab).

Here's what I'm seeing. The class list scrolls fine in VW2016.

KM

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=13082&filename=Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%207.00.15%20AM.png

Vincent,

I do get hierarchical menus in the OIP for classes, though I am in Windows 10 now had them too on Win 8/8.1 and 7 as well.

(I erased some identifying stuff from the project)

Edited by Art V

Classes definitely show as hierarchical in the OIP on a Mac in both VW2015 and VW2016. I looked for a way to toggle it on and off but I don't think its possible.

Yes, on Windows it is not possible to toggle the hierarchical display of classes in the OIP either, it is possible in the Navigation palette and the Organization dialog though. So it is behaving the same as on a Mac.

Scrolling in classes should be working properly on Mac and Windows as of SP1.

For hierarchical class display in pop up menus (like the OIP) you can control it under Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Display classes in pop-up menus hierarchically. I think its on by default as of 2015 and should also be in 2016.

I totally said that like I knew it off the top of my head but I had to look it up. ;)

Jim, thanks for letting know where to find this. I've seen it multiple times but it never registered somehow it's there.

Maybe add this option to the OIP, since it is already possible to select hierarchical/non-hierarchical on the nav and organizer palettes?

Or have this option to be a selectable menu item at the top in all drop-down menus that can show hierarchical classes?

That way it would be somewhat consistent across the various palettes/dialogs

There was a lot of discussion about where to put the setting initially, I think the main reason it didn't go right in the OIP was because most users will touch it ONCE and then never again, or they'll like hierarchical display and not ever care to turn it off.

Perhaps an alert the first time a user goes to that dropdown notifying them that it CAN be changed and where?

In the context of this conversation its important, but I have only had maybe 3 questions about this in the few years since its release including this one, so I'm not sure if it merits a prominent place in the OIP real estate.