Auto height for instruments attached to positions from a referenced file

Vlad

I am currently investigating the referenced files for my future workflow, and I came across a small problem.

Let's say the venue, including the fixed lighting positions, is in a separate file. In my light plot file I create a reference to the venue file (the viewport method).

If I try adding light instruments to my light plot they are created with a Z: 0.

The positions are correctly created (at the right height), and lights are attaching to them if they are in the same document. The layers are Show/Snap and classes are Show/Snap/Modify. Also the positions are not grouped. These are the 3 requirements for the auto positioning which is turned on in Spotlight Preferences. But for some reason it only works if lights and instruments are in the same file, but not with referenced files.

It also does not work if lights and positions are in the same file but the positions are in a viewport placed on the light plot layer.

Is this something not implemented yet or am I missing something?

Thank you.

PS: I am currently using VW Spotlight 2014 (SP5), but I have tried this in 2015 as well.

I've never tried using the lighting positions as referenced objects. Whenever I create a venue file that I'll be using as a reference file, I create all of the lighting positions (named and with the right heights) as a single "convert to group" symbol with the insertion point @ 0,0. That way, when I begin a new file, I drop that symbol into my lighting file, un-group it, and assign them to my lighting positions class. From, that point on, it's business as usual.

I hope that helps

I've never tried using the lighting positions as referenced objects. Whenever I create a venue file that I'll be using as a reference file, I create all of the lighting positions (named and with the right heights) as a single "convert to group" symbol with the insertion point @ 0,0. That way, when I begin a new file, I drop that symbol into my lighting file, un-group it, and assign them to my lighting positions class. From, that point on, it's business as usual.

I hope that helps

I'd say the fixtures don't attach to the viewport. Since the position is inside the viewport the fixtures don't have anything to reference.

I always copy the venue file to start a new project, rather than reference it. I tend to use referencing for things that change and therefore need updating. Copying will also prevent future changes to the source files from fouling the archive of a long gone show.

I actually like using referencing for venue files because it's easy to update them. I end up having to make many of the venue files that I use and there ar times when, as I'm working on the light plot, I find something that needs to be changed - or I get updates from the venue telling me of relevant things. I find it easier and simpler for me to pop into the venue file and make a quick change then update my refrence. The alternative would be to make the change in my current lighting file and then either open the master venue file and make the change there as well, or to remember that I have to take the venue from the light file for the next time. I admit, it becomes less relevant and useful when working in a theatre that I may not return to, but if it's a venue that I'll be working in frequently, then referencing is Definately the way to go for me.

As for the concern of changes down the line affecting an old and forgotten show, I just don't have my files set to automatically update refrences. So, if I don't want it to update, it won't.