Cannot draw 2D rotated rectangle in 3D view

In VW2013 on a Mac

I have a 3D symbol that is a table top at an angle, like a drafting board. I go into "symbol edit 3D." I look at it from the right side (hit numeral "6"). I need to draw a rectangle that is tilted, so I select the rotated rectangle tool. In previous VW versions, I would be able to snap to the corners of the extruded table top and pull down the angled rectangle to match the side of the table. Done. In VW2013 this is not possible. I can see the side of the table top, but the tool fails to work. I've tried all the various "Plane" modes (none of which are useful to me. I only ever want to draw as if the screen were a drafting board.) What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug? Is it no longer possible to draw a 2D shape in a 3D view? Any help is greatly appreciated...especially if you can tell me how to disarm all this Plane business back to VW12 or 11 functionality. That would be great!

MHB

Hmmm...the pulldown menu is set at Screen Plane, but when go to edit 3D (it's a symbol) and double-click to get down to the group I want to edit, then hit "6" to have a right side elevation view, it changes to "Screen Aligned." The rotated rectangle does not have different click modes (like an arc or circle) in VW2013. It only works one way. Anyway, it still does not work. I cannot draw a rotated rectangle in this view, in a symbol, with multiple groups, but thanks for trying. I think it is just a bug that resulted from complicating the view plane selection in the last couple of VW versions.

...also just noticed that VW2013 doesn't allow creating section viewports from any viewport—only Plan View oriented viewports. Not real useful. Trying to create a section viewport from an elevation viewport, for example, leaves a blank drawing with a title block (which I don't want or need. I do my own title blocks). Is this the way it is supposed to work? If so I'll stop trying.

Thanks,

MH

Thanks, Jim, but it's very unlikely to be the symbol. It's most likely user error because I'm unfamiliar with the changes in VW2013 since moving from VW11 a couple of years ago. I'll send it along regardless since one never knows. I assume I send it to the kbase email address in your signature? There is nothing that allows attaching a file on this forum as far as I can tell. I'll put it to your attention.

OK. When I do cut a section viewport in the Top Plan view it automatically puts in a title block with the generic "Drawing Title." When I go to the Object Info and change it nothing happens. I hit Update. Nothing happens. The title stays the same. Is there a way to simply delete this auto title block (which I really don't want anyway). I'm not sure this is how it is supposed to work.

OK. When I do cut a section viewport in the Top Plan view it automatically puts in a title block with the generic "Drawing Title." When I go to the Object Info and change it nothing happens. I hit Update. Nothing happens.

I can't test your file because I have an older version but:

Your section viewport which is now on a sheet layer can be named either in the OIP or in the Organisation dialogue under Viewports>Drawing Title. Then, when you create a drawing label for your viewport, the drawing label will be populated with the drawing title.

You can also give the viewport a drawing title by adding a drawing label in the annotation space of the viewport.

Hi,

Is this what you want to do??

Go into symbol, rotate and set to wireframe, set working plane to side and draw a rectangle by selecting the 2 corners of the table.

This was drawn in 3d mode say 6 on keypad.

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hi,

Start drawing 2d in 3d especially if you are drawing on a 3d model.

If you draw in side view the 2d object you are drawing sits at 0 which may be way beyond your model. So in 3d in rotated view you set your working plane to the face you want to draw on by double clicking the working plane tool on the face you need to dreaw on it locks the working plane on that face and icons show up and then whatever you draw is on that face.

VW2015 is great for this.

Thanks, Alan, but that is way too many steps. First, I generally set my so-called working plane by simply selecting the view I want using the key pad. Secondly, looking at a drawing in wireframe in isometric gives too many points to snap to. (What's so special about the iso views, anyway?) By looking at the object in elevation I can minimize the snap points (helping remove human error) and make sure I'm snapping in the correct place in the 2D space I'm working in. It is then a simple matter to slide that new piece into place after extruding it. Vectorworks doesn't snap very well in any other rendering modes

plus all other rendering modes are slow to re-render. Lastly, it is hard to precisely place a rectangle in 3D space when you are really only concerned with using two of the dimensions. The 3rd dimension makes it less precise, more difficult and is not necessary. I do all my VW work in 3D, but it is much easier to keep everything aligned if I only work in two dimensions at a time. Too many VW tools work less well in 3D and ultimately it slows me down. Certainly this is not the same for everyone. This is just how I like to work and it's unfortunate that this tool is no longer useful to me. All the other tools seem to work just fine as before. It's just the rotated rectangle that is balking. Thanks for your tip, however. I'll give it a try sometime when I'm not up against a deadline. Perhaps I can get it to work as you say and find it actually is better!

MH

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Its working as you'd expect in Vectorworks 2015 from what I can tell, the changes to Automatic Working Plane since 2013 may have removed the need for those workaround steps. I'm able to draw on the sides, bottom angled face and top angled face with the rectangles orientation matching the face's exactly.

Thank, Alan, that does look easier. Often, however, I need to be in wireframe because I'm constructing the interior frame. On something with lots of framing the lines can get pretty confusing which is why sometimes a 2D view is better than a 3D view. It seems like VW is taking the position that looking at an object in a 3D view is always better. Sometimes it isn't. That said, I'm going to start drawing the way you demonstrated in you very helpful video. I can see where 90 percent of the time it is better to use the 3D view and use tools like the "push-pull" rather than the old Extrude command. It looks much faster, certainly in the beginning of the modeling process. I greatly appreciate the time to explain it!

MH

Your welcome, I will still draw in both 2d and 3d depends on what i need to do, if i am positioning something like in this image i will go plan 2d and move it in place then check in side view. I never say never so i play with it and see what works for me.

Good luck and it can be frustrating learning this way but look for information on how things are done and it gets easier.

Good Luck

Also if you break you object into classes like say frame, lining, images etc you can turn the classes off and its not so confusing.

Edited by Alan Woodwell