Newbie to 3D needs HELP.

THere has to be a simple explanation. One of you 3D architects will probably take one look and be able to tell me WHY my roof is flying HIGH!?#%$

Check out my screen dump here:

high%20roof.png?dl=0

also, I can NOT figure out why it fails to render, only wireframe. I have set a pattern in the object info for shingles. . . what else to do?

Edited by schreib
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The wireframe is likely a result of the fill of the object being set to None.

The height is probably that the roof is on a layer that has already had its height adjusted to the correct value, then the roof was given a Z value of that same height, which is adding to the layers overall height and making your roof appear to be twice as high off the ground as it should be.

Thanks Jim, That was an easy one, and you were correct, just had to select something other than none for fill. I forgot about that tool since I got used to playing with the resource browser and the rendering tools. . .

As to the flying roof. I don't understand what you are saying above. I was able to fix it on my own. . .

However, if you look at the two images here, you can see how I fixed it. Doing it this way appears contrary to what I UNDERSTOOD as to how the layers should be set up for delta Z and Z level(wall height & elevation). I chose Z level = zero(0) at the Main floor top. Maybe you can enlighten me where I have diverged from good practice!

I had to make the layers org like this in order to start the roof at the top of my wall(10' 5/8"):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeahjj38s9hjzmg/Layers%20listing%20zero%20offset.png?dl=0

and this layout, previous, forces the roof to "fly":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwgpzzrj2trv33a/Layer%20listing%20NG.png?dl=0