Video screen tool - shooting top-down

Dear forum.

I´m searching for a way to rigg a projector top-down with the video screen tool.

Since rotating hybrid objects in 3D is not an option in VW, I´ve played around within the screen plugin parameters.

It seems that using "screen tilt" (value of 90), then "projector tilt" (value of -90), presents a new challenge og the projector not being placed in "center of screen", as the plugin default states.

Working on from that, any "specific shift" value getting close to my goal of getting the projector centered, will prompt me with a VW warning "parameters beyond limits".

I have yet to dive in the sea of editing scripts myself and I do hope theres and more accessible way to fix this that scripting.

So.. any of you good people of the web have an idea how best to get around this?

Thanks a bunch!

- Frederik Heitmann

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Is this just to get the appearance of the projector being hung that way? If that's the case, after you insert a video screen object and select the desired projector, you can edit the projectors symbol in the resource browser. There you can edit the 3D component and rotate the geometry within that however you like, just make sure you keep the alignment of the lens in relation to the symbols insertion point so that the projectors beam is properly aligned.

• Like 1

Frederick -

Your best bet is to create a Video Screen instance (configured the way you want it) on a separate Design Layer and then to insert a Design Layer ViewPort (DLVP) referencing that Design Layer. Then, tilt/rotate the DLVP to the orientation you're needing. Any adjustments you then make to the actual PIO instance will be reflected in the DLVP.

Does that help, at all?

• 1 year later...