Generating part size cultist for wood shop

I really like being able to reference =Width, =Length & =Height of an object within the Worksheets functions, however it seems the function list is half done. I only find the three dimension types i've mentioned above, and others like "Depth" which solid subtractions, additions, etc. use.

You can see in my attached screen cap that those items which are "zero length" use the Depth dimension name so the =length function returns 0, but depth is not a choice as a function.

Is there a way to accomplish this easily via functions or would i be getting into Vectorscript / Python?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Chris @ Cider Press Woodworks

Hi Michael,

I definitely like the idea. My first thought is that this would only work for objects with 6 faces with all 90 degree corners.

Also, I'm assuming volume accounts for subtracted space from the "box" object. i.e. if i have a large hole cut from the center of the object, that hole makes the volume smaller than just the overall LxWxH or LxDxH.

Thoughts?

That shouldn't bother a part size cultist.

I'm not sure what you mean. If the volume of a 3/4" x 2" x 30" part has a miter on the end, the volume is less than THxWxL. So =volume/(height*width) will not return the correct depth (or needed dimension).

That shouldn't bother a part size CULTIST. (never mind)

Michael (and Chris),

Didn't we talk a while ago about using the bounding box parameters to calculate these three values; Length, Width and Height?

There will always be obvious flaws with any of these systems; Rotational values, mitres, non-rectangular shapes, slope variations, notchouts.

I'd be very interested one day to see the script that runs for the Wall Framer tool in the Architect package, I think that would tell us some interesting things.

Back to the aforementioned bounding box, I'll have a play on the train tomorrow and see where I got to on that project.

J

• 3 weeks later...