Sign in to follow this  
Rob Books

Classing for Vectorworks symbols

1) Submitting a request to have that command integrated into Spotlight, if one does not exist already.

2) Some features are intentionally not included in certain modules for marketing/money reasons, (Like PDF Export not being in Fundamentals) but some features are merely oversights. We have so many tools and commands that it's easy for one that totally would benefit users of one module to be accidentally omitted.

Always feel free to post requests for anything like that to be included and I'll file it directly.

I must say, I really DON'T like the classing. I have my own classing system built into my template file, and having these extra classes now thrown into the mix really gets in the way - especially when it comes to viewports and line weights, as I believe was mentioned somewhere above.

And, to be honest, what I actually dislike even more that the classing, is the fact that the symbols are told specifically to drop into that class, as opposed to the active class. I could live with the classing since it's easy enough to delete the new class and re-assign it to "none," - even though it's now an extra step for me - but the "drop on the specific class" option as opposed to "Active Class" is very irritating. Having to go to each symbol and change it.

It's just feels too much like Vectorworks trying too hard to "help."

Seconding all of this. The amount of work that goes in to fixing my viewports now is ridiculous between all the various spotlight tools. At the very least, the classes need to be configurable. I have my basic templates set up with the classes and sheet views, but now that work is all undone with the new classing.

Jonathan,

Which class should I insert my doors in?

FYI components classes are assigned in the definition of the door.

Thank you

CF

Edited by Christian Fekete

Not sure if there have been any developments on this, but I too am finding this to be extremely frustrating.

The whole point of classes is to help organize things in a logical way given your drawing/design.

With objects/symbols auto-creating their own classes it makes my drawings nearly impossible to organize in any comprehendable way.

I end up with quite a few "core" classes and then a bunch of random other ones that I basically just have because I don't want to mess up how my symbols are displayed.

Not sure if there have been any developments on this, but I too am finding this to be extremely frustrating.

The whole point of classes is to help organize things in a logical way given your drawing/design.

With objects/symbols auto-creating their own classes it makes my drawings nearly impossible to organize in any comprehendable way.

I end up with quite a few "core" classes and then a bunch of random other ones that I basically just have because I don't want to mess up how my symbols are displayed.

You can rename or delete existing classes so that existing object will get moved. However importing another stupid symbol will just give you those classes back. So the work continues...

I hear there are plans for v2017 to be smarter!

You can rename or delete existing classes so that existing object will get moved. However importing another stupid symbol will just give you those classes back. So the work continues...

I hear there are plans for v2017 to be smarter!

I very much hope there are. The system found in 2016 is just killing me haha.

As I mentioned before, what I find more annoying is that the insertion class is assigned. So it's not JUST the geometry of the symbol that is classed, but the symbol itself. What this means is that even if you delete the classes and reassign their geometry to another class - for me, it's the "none" class - the Symbol Insertion Class ALSO changes to "None." I'd be less irritated with it if the Insertion class would default to "active class."

I'd be less irritated with it if the Insertion class would default to "active class."

If you're running an up-to-date copy of 2016, in the "Spotlight Preferences" dialog, do you have the "Automatically assign the class of all lighting instruments" toggled off? If so, LDs should be assigned to the Active Class. That should address one of your concerns.

Some changes but I am not sure what specifically. I know a large number of the spotlight-specific objects are getting proper component subclassing but other than that I can not yet speak to the changes.

I always end up manually classing everything--Focus points, hanging positions, instruments, accessories, etc. because there is no standard method and every plot I get does it differently.  I would be very interested in having VW standardize this so I don't have to rebuild every file I'm given.

Edited by Brandon Wardell

Unfortunately, the Governing boards (USITT, ABTT, CITT) never got ahead of the curve on Classes for Drafting, which has caused many Designers/Drafts-persons to create their own.  When we created our classing, we tried to stick to as simple a system as possible.  We have also tried to keep it consistent between the manually created classes and the PIO classes, at least for Spotlight.

when you create a PIO, other than Instruments and Accessories, you have the option in the context menu to set the classes it will create.  You can set it to None, or defaults, or one of your own.

And for 2017, Instruments and Accessories should insert in the active class.  but it will bring in the assigned classes, as the geometry is assigned to those classes.  and if you think this is bad, you should have seen some of the ones i have seen where each brand and model has its own class.  So you would have, for example Lighting>Moving Light> Martin>MAC 300.  If you do find an instrument or accessory that does not insert into the active class, please let me know, and you can change it by right clicking on the symbol and changing the insertion options.