Progress bar

Bazza!

Question

Involved in producing a large render - usually if the progress bar appears not to progress after many minutes I check to see if Vectorworks is not responding by forcing a quit - it then shows up if it has a responding problem.

However at the time of writing this post (UK time at 12.45 in the morning) the progress bar appears to have not moved more than a third of the way in the last few hours. Checked with a potential forced quit and Vectorworks appears as if there is no response issue but there is no spinning wheel of death, at least this is sometimes an indication something is happening. It is a very big file but rendered it before without the problem I have now, I have just upped the quality from medium to high.

So I shall leave this in the hope it's still rendering until 8am approx and check it again. If it has got no visibly further I guess the render has failed. Downloading service pack 3 has made no difference to my earlier problem of acquiring textures and editing them in real time. I'm going to have a go at exporting Vectorworks as a cinema 4D file and see if the rendering is a less tedious process just hope it keeps the saved view etc as I am using a trial version and have little experience of using Cinema 4D.

Might invest though in Cinema 4D and give up Vectorworks as a lost cause

9 answers to this question

I like that and am used to have this in other software too.

That way you can control where problems are.

Geometry export, GI or Final Ray Tracing,

and optimize from there.

So for Bazza!, which of the 3 rendering parts has the problem.

The scene itself may be too much for your computer in general.

If Rendering needs more RAM as you have it will swap to much slower HD/SSD.

Also most people tend to set render settings to high quality from the beginning.

Try to start with lowest settings and increase only where the problems are.

I think it would be very useful to show some screen shots of your render settings

and of the OpenGL model.

Still having problems with vectorworks - program sometimes quits when creating a new texture - it does not always save preferences such as preferred visibility of layers - does not always create a high res render on screen even when set up in render options and when document is saved. This has happened on two different macs with different graphics cards one running Yosemite the other running Maverick. Anyone know when a new version of Vectorworks demo is available?. I would like to try the next upgrade before committing to VSS again.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A demo should arrive right after subsequent release, normally its supposed to be available day 1 but sometimes the demo serial number system takes a little longer to start sending out keys.

Make sure to get in touch with support directly as well, I have not had a large number of users with these kinds of problems.

Since my last post from 2015 I have discovered that the delay in applying textures in vectorworks and maybe other subsequent delays happens when my wifi connection is on. If I turn off my wifi connection, within seconds the problem disappears. My wifi / broadband supplier is Sky - interestingly enough a guy at computers unlimited (although the name has recently changed) the UK agents for VSS etc tried working on his computer running vectorworks 2015 his broadband supplier is also Sky.

I am delighted to say he had the exact same problem. So I am not imagining it.

Recently tried version 2016 - (today) same problem - until I turn off the wifi connection.

I like to produce high quality renders but do everything to keep the file size down.

Success though is hit and miss.

Although not familiar with 2016 version - now wondering why the render progress bar just keeps counting up the time but with no real idea when the render will be finished if in fact it is actually producing a finished render! A few hours since starting this render and still a full progress bar with no error message or clue of how long this will be.

Would like to continue with VSS and upgrades etc but it's a lot of money if doesn't do what it says on the can.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The render timer only shows the time elapsed and then reports the total time elapsed, it can't predict how long the render will take from the beginning.

Was CU able to file a bug on wifi slowing down texture work? If not I can speak with them and get it filed.