blind leading the blind, me using V'works for arch work

I'm a retired mech engineer with previous experience with V'works but NOT for architectural work. Using the wall and door tools along with multiple layers is driving my nuts while using V'works 2008.

It appears the door "sill" disappears unless I place the door in a layer that already has walls. Anyone willing to assist? I will provide more details. thanks.

Thanks for the help. I finally did figure out the deal with the sills and this allowed the door itself to show up. However, something else must be going on that I fail to understand. . . I found out that extra classes are being created without my knowing(sills, style-1 for example) AND, for example, if I only open up the "get info" on a door and select one thing to change, click OK, then its LABEL gets thrown into another class, seemingly at random. There appears no rationale at all regarding this moving of the door label(ie D-01) to some class other than the one it was created in and NOT with the door! I've had to go through all the classes individually to find these labels dropped off in them . . . Eventually, I just re-named the classes with only the labels and quit trying to move them where they should be because changing their "class" in the get info dialog did NOT move them to the new class. I had to give up on it. At this point, I can't spend any more time playing with this problem and am ready to just accept the situation as it is. It appears I really would need someone to be looking over my shoulder to see the situation. The forum is just not going to handle this I'm afraid. Thanks for listening. . .

Hi,

The Classes etc are preset but you can change them.

See the bottom of the Object Info Pallet when you select the window yo get the left hand image and this tells you what class all the components of the window go onto.

Peter will be able to give you a better overview as he has a good knowledge of all this.

Edited by Alan777

thanks for the input. I finally figured out the problem. In V'works 2008, at least the level I have, it is a minimalist setup allowing me to use walls. This is probably because I got the tools for my job as a Mech engineer and it happens to also supply minimal building shell tools, it is NOT the a full blown architect level version of V'works. Anyway, I found an insidious little pull down list that caused my problems. I did not realize I had to stipulate which class to save the LABELS into, and it is important to do so using this pull down or it will just pick a default class for you! Here is the screen shot showing the pull down that I did not realize was important. :cry:

[img:left]https://www.dropbox.com/s/juprie2wil85qrc/Screen%20shot%202015-04-02%20at%209.16.52%20AM.png?dl=0[/img]

Edited by schreib