'tied' curtains/drapes

I'm looking for a way to create drapes a bit like those here

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/864104482_1/Free-shippinge-home-decoration-bling-font-b-curtain-b-font-band-rhinestone-font-b-ribbon-b.jpg

I'm not bothered about the ties themselves, just want to create some slightly more complex drapes than those available in the soft goods tool.

I found a guide on how to make italian drapes on here from 2010 but sadly the video tutorial has disappeared from the link

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=148597

Mike

Wow. You had to look back pretty far to find that! Unfortunately, I lost that movie when I switched my web hosting.

Let's see if I can walk you through it:

1. Switch to a front view. Draw the outline of the curtain with the polyline tool. Like this:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12000&filename=1%20Outline.png

2. Modify > Convert > Convert to Nurbs each of the polylines.

3. Switch to a Top/Plan View. Draw a squiggly line with the polyline tool. Modify > Convert > Convert to Nurbs

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12001&filename=2%20Squiggle.png

4. Switch to a 3D view. 3D toolset. Loft Tool. 3rd mode (bi rail loft mode)

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12002&filename=3%203d%20view.png

5. Click on one of the outline nurbs, then the other outline, then the squiggle. Then click the green check mark in the upper left.

6. In the next dialog box, make sure "Create Solid" is checked and "Keep Curves". Click OK.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=12003&filename=4%20Finished%20and%20pulled%20away.png

You will get a generic solid drape and the original nurbs.

You can modify the original nurbs curves and try again, but you can't edit the generic solid directly- like you can with a solid addition or subtraction.

hth

mk

PS It's important to make sure the direction of the the outline or "rail" curves have are both going the same direction. You can click "Show Direction" in the OIP and change them if necessary. If they are opposite, you will probably get a curtain that doesn't exist in nature :)

Edited by michaelk