Greying out Objects Beyond

Good Afternoon,

I'm needing to grey out levels below in plan and buildings beyond in elevation.

At this time I'm working in plan. I need to grey out the the two levels below in this viewport. Images attached show what happens when I grey out the layer. In my advanced viewport properties I have "render grey layers transparent" unchecked. Yet, they are still showing up transparent.

I should add, that the layers are a mixture of layer imports and design layer viewport references, but both are working similarly when I grey the layer.

Anyone else have a similar problem or a work around?

Edited by deliamicaela
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apologies, I do not know of a method for doing so. Normally if others have an inkling of how to go about it, they will post, but if they haven't attempted to do so or don't know of a method it will remain quiet generally rather than users chiming in to say they can't help.

Delia, I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but I would like to help. Here is a screenshot of a method for partially obscuring portions of a drawing (this one happens to be an elevation) for the the purpose of context and clarity. If this looks like what you want let me know and I'll post back specific instructions...

Thank you Jim, I'm new to the board.

Cipes, I think my issue is with the ability to grey out entire layers in hidden line mode, without them becoming transparent.

I have a series of buildings. All referenced in on their own layers in a mid scale multi family project. So in section and elevation views I want to be able to grab the layers of the buildings in the background and turn them grey with the eye tool.

You can see an axonometric view of my complex of buildings in the images attached, then an elevation view where those pesky buildings in the background are hanging out. I want the background buildings to show in elevation, just as grey lines as opposed to black thin lines.

There are a few ways to accomplish what you want. Most of them require some setup. If the background buildings are all created with a discreet Class (or Classes) then you can control all that by using By Class Attributes and VP Class Overrides. [What that means is that you can control the attributes of any given Class in any given VP.]

You can also use something similar to what I've done by creating a mask (which could be a 3d screen of sorts, or simply an annotated polygon, with its opacity set to less that 100%, which is what I've done).

Please post back if you need more guidance.

Thank you Cipes for your suggestions,

I was also thinking about creating two overlaying viewports, turning off layers I do not need completely, and then overriding the classes in each viewport.

I think with the amount of classes and references I have, creating unique classes for each reference would create something unmanageable.

Also the 2d hatch is a good work around for now when I'm on a deadline but I really need to figure out how to accomplish this 3 dimensionally in my workflow since this will become an office standard for projects.