Before this post I did a search for VSS and nothing came up. More came up when I searched Service Select but nothing too informative. I could only find a list of the basic benefits of VSS on the main VW web pages.

Putting aside the benefit of an annual upgrade what more can VSS give you?

This is a great forum and source for help and so why pay more for support?

Training can be accessed for free via You Tube or other sources so why pay for discounted training with VSS? Besides here in the UK little if any training is provided and its pretty basic.

Access to textures and other libraries could be useful but I find them too 'Americanised' and not too relevant for a UK practice. It is a pity that there is no UK focus on textures and symbols.

At £459 plus VAT per PC per year it is a great expense, especially for a small practice who only upgrades licences every 4 to 5 years.

Does the trial version of 2015 come with a trial of VSS?

Or is their a link to page that gives more of a preview of the training, textures and support one is purchasing?

At £459 plus VAT per PC per year it is a great expense, especially for a small practice who only upgrades licences every 4 to 5 years.

How can £459 plus VAT per PC per year be a great expense

My understanding is it is just a yearly upgrade fee together with VSS benefits

Here in Oz my VSS subscription I think is $700 or $800 per year and I constantly tell our Oz distributors it is too cheap

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I only know about Vectorworks Service Select as we offer it here in the US, distributors are free to modify the service, so the UK version may be different.

If you take away the cheaper pricing (which gets you upgrades each year as opposed to having to wait for every 3 to match the same price discount which make it worth it for a lot of people in its own right) then it comes down to in the US:

- Priority phone support. You go ahead in the phone queue of everyone else that doesn't have VSS.

- Additional training. The stuff o VSS is the basic free training and simple tools and video tech tips, the more complex workflows and tutorials are on the VSS portal only.

- Vectorworks Cloud Services. There isn't another way of accessing it other than having a VSS account.

- On-demand webinars. Similar to the training materials, but many of them earn you AIA, LA, CES, and APLD credits.

- Early Access. You get new versions of Vectorworks first.

But of course, if these things AREN'T what you want, then a VSS account may not be for you at all. It's still possible to purchase a license a la carte and be done with it, buying the updated versions when you're ready for them or sticking with one for many years. Don't spend your money anywhere you don't deem worth it.

• Administrator

Access to textures and other libraries could be useful but I find them too 'Americanised' and not too relevant for a UK practice. It is a pity that there is no UK focus on textures and symbols.

We are always looking for new content libraries for the portal. Is there anything in particular that you would like to recommend? I'll be more than happy to pass that info to our content creation team.

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi,

As Juan said, we are always looking for new content libraries. You can send me your requests directly so we can plan to research and develop it. Please specify related details and provide any reference material or web links you can to aid us.

You can contact me directly with your ideas: jbaccala@vectorworks.net

Best regards,

Chris Baccala

Content Development Manager

jbaccala@vectorworks.net

• 5 years later...

Dear all, 

I need some clarification on the above comments. Does anyone really need a yearly VSS subscription in order to be able to even render with materials in renderworks withinVectorworks Architect 2021? What is the exclusive VSS library that is apparently so useful? 

And yes, it is crazy for a small practice the annual vss fee.. Especially during lockdowns and perpetual recessions. 

Thanks