Deform Tool - Bend Solid Mode

Kevin McAllister

Question

9 answers to this question

+1

It feels kinda funny griping about the deform tool because we wished it and it works pretty well. But, it isn't easy being perfect and all that.

Is this one of those intersecting geometry problems? The start and the end of the bending surface have distinct geometric definitions prior to the bend, and are "asked" to have the same geometric definition at end of operation. so, discontinuous and fail?

The bend tool should be capable of deforming to fully closed context.

-B

I guess it may be one of those intersecting geometry problems... though its no different than two objects that share a common surface, is it? Or perhaps when both surfaces are part of the same object it gets confused.

I guess I could do half and half but that feels suspiciously like a work around ;-) I was hoping those days were on the way out.....

KM

Good call, Kevin. I tried it as 2 half circle bends, too. Drew a circle, drew a line with L= .5 circumference, and extruded that to make a planar strap for bending. The bend angle went to 180.04° when fully snapped. I had to tab into the cursor field and force 180. There might be a rounding error, though. For the strap length, I entered the half circumference to 4 decimal places (eg 5.6666) which rounded to 2 places in the cursor field (eg 5.67).

I've also had the bend tool make deforms which are right on. More quirks to learn.

Re circle resize by circumference: That caused my earlier wish for a keystroke with value of pi (and the fun Apple joke from Jim W).

So, +1

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Wishes I pulled from this discussion so far:

1) Resize Circles by Circumference.

2) Allow 360 degree Bends via the Deform tool (end surfaces should butt together)

3) Bend around a specified circle or angle. Perhaps "Bend Along Path" even?

It feels kinda funny griping about the deform tool because we wished it and it works pretty well. But, it isn't easy being perfect and all that.

Never stop!