Surface array

Horsing around with a similar setup.

Base Surface: Two concentric circles on Layer Plane. Convert to NURBS. Raise z of smaller one. Loft Surface.

Source object: 2 Extruded hexagons.

@Laura - I think the x' and y' offsets need adjusting, and toggle through the Edge Condition options near bottom of OIP. If the offsets are correct, the array should not overlap.

@James - I have best success with hex grids if the source profile is two units with one coincident edge. This fills the interstitial areas with rotated object instead of space.

Single hex can also work if offsets and shifts are adjusted.

HTH

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11915&filename=Array&DblSource.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11917&filename=Array&SnglSource.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Also: I believe that if you use symbols for the array objects, that they will not be distorted/scaled to fit on the surface. If they are just extrudes or raw 3D geometry, they then will be.

I have also seen messier results if the base shape came from an extraction performed on an existing solid face, this shouldn't matter, but im looking into now and seeing if bugs can be parsed out of it.

Thanks all,

First I tried doing the loft surface for my base shape (the original one was a curve extracted from a cone with the top lopped off). No joy.

Then I removed the base from my array objects (they were solid additions). That did the trick with a few adjustments.

Also tried the double hex but found it more difficult to control.

So in conclusion must use extrudes and not solid additions.

Laura

• 1 year later...

@vincetang20Hi, you can use a variety of base surfaces. Here i have drawn a few different objects and different base surfaces and hit Model Surface array after selecting both objects an I get these results.

Maybe this is not what you are after???

Certainly as Jonathon said if you were after a curved surface you would need to use a Nurbs surface as the base.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell