Linear Dimension Tool Override

I'm trying to figure out how to override each dimension of a dimension chain individually. When 'Show Dim Value' is checked the program pretends to allow me to edit each dimension individually but reverts back to the measured value when I hit enter. When it's unchecked I only seem to be able to edit the text using the Leader and Trailer boxes which obviously changes the text for all dimensions in the chain.

Also, what are the three blue circles that appear when you double-click the text box for each dimension in the chain?

Our office uses Vectorworks 2013 running on OSX 10.10.2.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has asked before, I search google and the techboard as well as I could but I found nothing that matches the description.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum,

The dimension tool is entirely reliant on the things that you've drawn actually being the right size. It's basically so you can't fudge the measurements at all.

Should you have drawn something indicative and you need to show a dimension that's not actually the size of the object you've drawn the only way to do so (as you've discovered) is to de-check the show dim value and replace it with your own in either the Leader or Trailer fields.

If you wish to do this for just one of the dimensions and not the entire chain simply ungroup the dimension chain after drawing (Command + u for Mac) and they will separate into individual dimensions for editing.

In reference to the second part of your question the 3 blue dots represent the growth points of the dimension. These are often referred to as pinning points. The one that you have selected is pinned in place meaning that if the item is to grow or shrink it does so from that point inwards or outwards.

Let me know if you need any further help and I'll record a short video for you explaining the topic further.

Cheers,

J ;)

Edited by James Russell
  • Like 1