Disappearing Faces

POA

So I have a problem with disappearing faces within this model. Its been present since I started and is really rather irritating.

The problem is this, every so often faces on extrudes, PIO and doors will become invisible. They are still there and simply editing the item in question appears to be enough to refresh it and bring back the faces. Its just a bit annoying and its now happening to a lot of items.

I have attached a screen shot to highlight the problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Does this happen in any rendering mode or just OpenGL?

Where is your model in relation to 0 in that document? Looking at the rulers, it looks like you may be far off of the documents 0,0,0.

In a test copy of that file, move your geometry back near 0,0 and then re-render, let me know if the faces reappear. (Make sure to move the geometry, not the origin.)

Hi Jim, thanks for the quick response.

It happens only in OpenGL.

I have used the "centre drawing on internal origin" tool to bring all the geometry within a reasonable distance of the origin. Its is currently about 50m from the internal origin.

Not if they're flickering randomly out of existence, no. The base geometry needs to be extruded from a solid polygon though or it can create odd shells like this, but if that was the problem then the issue would persist in any rendering mode.

Make sure you have your graphics drivers up to date as well, they can affect OpenGL dramatically:

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/476/Updating+Graphics+Drivers

Those look like extrudes formed from unclosed polylines. If the objects are extrudes, dbl click to edit the extrude, Select all. OIP should show one object (probably a polygon). Checkmark the Closed box, exit the extrude and render. Often the unclosed poly has an extra vertex. In addition to enabling the Closed option in the source poly, use the OIP arrows to click through the vertices or drag each corner to find a stack. Delete one of the vertices of the stack.

good luck!

-B

I do not think that the objects in that document were moved back to 0, the rulers still show extremely large values. What units are being used currently in that file?

If you copy that geometry in to another document and paste it at 0,0,0 is the geometry still behaving the same way?

So I accidentally pasted the objects into a template that had a similar origin set up but the objects appeared fine.

I then pasted into a blank template at 0,0 and the also appeared fine. But also the main model now seems to have cleared up, it sort of comes and goes. Could it be a memory problem perhaps?

Does the "Centre Drawing on Internal Origin" actually move the geometry to the origin?

It should, but I always recommend manually moving it when testing things like this.

If it comes and goes after moving it manually back to the origin, even after a reboot of the machine, then it could be a memory problem, but thats less likely since GPU memory limits usually result in slowness or blacked out areas rather than dropped geometry.

Hi Jim,

So a colleague of mine has started a second block for this project in a separate file with similar location settings and is having all kinds of graphical issues. i.e. the kind you would expect to see if it were too far from the origin.

With that in mind we will most likely move both model to the origin and manually position them in a site model. Can you advise on the least disruptive way to do this?

Normally you would simply move all the objects at once manually (click and drag) to 0, then to get them to report the needed coordinates if you're working with georeferencing or something like that, you would move the user origin to the appropriate offset.