Dynamic viewport scale

No.

The scale is set in the OIP.

You can however rescale the Viewport by entering a new width or height; it will scale to fit.

You can also use the Clip tool to clip away unwanted edges, or interestingly to clip a single Viewport in two.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sheet layer viewports can also be grouped, then scaled by dragging a corner grip. Since viewports must be scale proportionally, I usually hold the shift key to constrain the proportions. This will give you a proportional interactive preview as you drag.

Not quite what you are looking for here, however sharing my opinion. I have a set title block I use for most projects. In there I have a clearly defined space in the border for a viewport. This is assuming the type of project with only one viewport in that space etc... I hate when I make a viewport that floats out of that area. Often times what I do is go to the sheet layer. Draw a rectangle or whatever to fill that space. Do a quick cut of that object. Past on a design layer then start scaling it from the modify menu in typical architectural scale amounts. IE scale by 48, 96, 32 stuff like that that way I can see the area that will be in my viewport and if I need to bump up or down a scale to include some certain geometry. Then I go to create a viewport and just choose the corresponding scale value for the amount I scaled by.

I know it seems a little goofy, but it works for me.

Matt

Thanks, MattG. What I'm trying to do is set up a sheet layer on 8.5x11 with a viewport that is NTS but fills up the page. What I had been doing was setting the viewport scale to 1/8", which is often too small, or 1/4" which doesn't fit on the page. I saw the Custom... option, but ain't nobody got time to click in the OIP and enter scale settings until you find the right one!

And Matt P: good to know you're a Tiger! If you're ever on campus please let me know!

And Matt P: good to know you're a Tiger! If you're ever on campus please let me know!

It's been a LONG time since I've been there, but I hope to get down there someday soon. I'll certainly let you know if/when I do. :-)

Edited by Matt Panzer
  • 5 years later...
On 3/10/2015 at 4:25 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Sheet layer viewports can also be grouped, then scaled by dragging a corner grip. Since viewports must be scale proportionally, I usually hold the shift key to constrain the proportions. This will give you a proportional interactive preview as you drag.

@Matt Panzer 

This doesn't seem to work with VW 2021 anymore. 

The viewport when scaled in group becomes blank.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:37 PM, nahekul said:

@Matt Panzer 

This doesn't seem to work with VW 2021 anymore. 

The viewport when scaled in group becomes blank.

I took a quick look and see the issue as well.  I'm not sure if there's a reason this behavior changed, but I entered a bug to have it looked at (VB-177280)